• Last Logged In: 21 Nov 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • itbcn8
    RE: Installing Linux Mint to run alongside Windows 7
    Did this answer your question? Have you figured out how to make a partition for your Linux Mint? Let us know, if not we can send you a few more links.
    Link to this post 22 Nov 10

Did this answer your question?

Have you figured out how to make a partition for your Linux Mint?

Let us know, if not we can send you a few more links.

• itbcn8
    RE: LINUX.COM Email Address
    Oh cool. Ymail is Yahoo mail, I'm not sure if I can send from a custom address... But I do use desktop clients more and more so I can try that. Thanks for your help.
    Link to this post 14 Nov 10

Oh cool.
    Ymail is Yahoo mail, I'm not sure if I can send from a custom address... But I do use desktop clients more and more so I can try that.

Thanks for your help.

• itbcn8
    LINUX.COM Email Address
    Hi, Quick question, I just became a member of the Linux Foundation, payed my fees, got my @linux.com email etc... And then I realize that the email is just a vanity email, that I can't actually REPLY from @linux.com... Is that right? For example, I have my @linux.com set up to forward to my ymail, which is fine, but then when I hit reply it replies from Ymail not Linux.com... Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having this new email address?? Is there any way to solve this? If not I think I just got RIPPED OFF by the linux foundation......... refund please.... :'(
    Link to this post 12 Nov 10

Hi, Quick question,

I just became a member of the Linux Foundation, payed my fees, got my @linux.com email etc... And then I realize that the email is just a vanity email, that I can't actually REPLY from @linux.com... Is that right?

For example, I have my @linux.com set up to forward to my ymail, which is fine, but then when I hit reply it replies from Ymail not Linux.com...

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having this new email address?? Is there any way to solve this? If not I think I just got RIPPED OFF by the linux foundation.........

refund please....

:'(

• itbcn8
    RE: Linux Mint Distros
    What do you mean? I use LM and LMDE and I only see it getting better and better with every version... Linux Mint FTW!! :D :D
    Link to this post 07 Nov 10

What do you mean? I use LM and LMDE and I only see it getting better and better with every version...

Linux Mint FTW!! :D :D

• itbcn8
    RE: Fedora 14 is OUT! (and re-designed?!?)
    I just VB'ed it... I've got to say, the default wallpaper took my breath away!! It's worth installing just to see it :) Overall I like it, seems a lot faster and more stable than F13. GJ Fedora Team!! :cheer:
    Link to this post 04 Nov 10

I just VB'ed it... I've got to say, the default wallpaper took my breath away!! It's worth installing just to see it :)

Overall I like it, seems a lot faster and more stable than F13.

GJ Fedora Team!! :cheer:

• itbcn8
    Fedora 14 is OUT! (and re-designed?!?)
    Fedora 14 was released today (at least I found out today). Crazyyy. Looks good, although my experience with Fedora 13 wasn't all too good... hopefully this one is better. One thing though, have you seen their homepage (fedoraproject.org)? It's completely re-designed... What are your thoughts? Anyone try it/has been using it? Do you recommend? :silly: [img size=605]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Fedora_14_redesign.jpg[/img]
    Link to this post 03 Nov 10

Fedora 14 was released today (at least I found out today).
    Crazyyy. Looks good, although my experience with Fedora 13 wasn't all too good... hopefully this one is better.
    One thing though, have you seen their homepage (fedoraproject.org)? It's completely re-designed...
    What are your thoughts? Anyone try it/has been using it? Do you recommend?
    :silly:

• itbcn8
    RE: Linux Distributions
    I think anyone you ask will be a bit biased... I would say Ubuntu, but OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, and all the other ones mentioned here are equity as stable and good out of the box. Also a thing to note is that the distribution only matters to a certain point. You'll probably either be using GNOME or KDE as a desktop interface, which is pretty much the same across all these distros. After a while you move beyond the install and initial impressions and programs and get to the core of the distribution which (according to me) is the community. Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Linux Mint, etc. all have different communities with different personalities and feels. When you install a distro, also check out the community. Visit the forums, go to the IRC channels, ask questions, you will probably find a community and distro that matches your likes, needs, and personality best. Besides that, though, it's all LInux ;)
    Link to this post 15 Sep 10

I think anyone you ask will be a bit biased...

I would say Ubuntu,
    but OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, and all the other ones mentioned here are equity as stable and good out of the box.

Also a thing to note is that the distribution only matters to a certain point. You'll probably either be using GNOME or KDE as a desktop interface, which is pretty much the same across all these distros.

After a while you move beyond the install and initial impressions and programs and get to the core of the distribution which (according to me) is the community.

Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Linux Mint, etc. all have different communities with different personalities and feels. When you install a distro, also check out the community. Visit the forums, go to the IRC channels, ask questions, you will probably find a community and distro that matches your likes, needs, and personality best.

Besides that, though, it's all LInux ;)

• itbcn8
    RE: ubuntu saves the day
    Wow, same thing happened to me this week. My roomate has a Dell Latitude D610 and his XP has just got OVERRUN by viruses... So he was freaking out about loosing all his files and photos UNTIL UBUNTU SAVED THE DAY :) Like for you, Ubuntu installed flawlessly, quickly, and was able to recover all his files. :) Now he uses Linux Mint as his primary and is finding less and less reason to use XP. :) YAY. THANKS UBUNTU.
    Link to this post 24 Aug 10

Wow, same thing happened to me this week. My roomate has a Dell Latitude D610 and his XP has just got OVERRUN by viruses... So he was freaking out about loosing all his files and photos UNTIL UBUNTU SAVED THE DAY :)

Like for you, Ubuntu installed flawlessly, quickly, and was able to recover all his files. :) Now he uses Linux Mint as his primary and is finding less and less reason to use XP. :) YAY.

THANKS UBUNTU.

• itbcn8
    RE: Wubi or partition installation
    I've done a re-partition and normal install of ubuntu a lot, and back in the day I have messed up one too many hard drives... So DON´T do that kind of install. Go with Wubi or VirtualBox for your first time(s) installing and using Linux. Then after you get a hang of it, are sure you want to use it, etc, try a normal install. Just speaking from experience :) ;)
    Link to this post 03 May 10

I've done a re-partition and normal install of ubuntu a lot, and back in the day I have messed up one too many hard drives... So DON´T do that kind of install.

Go with Wubi or VirtualBox for your first time(s) installing and using Linux. Then after you get a hang of it, are sure you want to use it, etc, try a normal install.

Just speaking from experience :) ;)

• itbcn8
    RE: Compiz in Ubuntu 10.04
    Isn't Ubuntu with KDE called Kubuntu?
    Link to this post 03 May 10

Isn't Ubuntu with KDE called Kubuntu?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board