• Last Logged In: 24 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Jalockin
    RE: Printer gone wild
    now i've tried to delete the printer from all of the laptops and only installed it on one, and unchecked "share". The printer still prints the test page untill i press abort really weird. then I remembered that we have another printer (the exact same printer) connected to the network on another part of the school, I then installed that printer on the laptop - the 2nd printer had no issues and only made one copy of the test page. Makes me think that something is wrong with the configuration of the first printer, but it prints fine from a windows laptop/desktop, strange. Cheers ;D Nick
    Link to this post 24 Jan 12

now i've tried to delete the printer from all of the laptops and only installed it on one, and unchecked "share".

The printer still prints the test page untill i press abort really weird.

then I remembered that we have another printer (the exact same printer) connected to the network on another part of the school, I then installed that printer on the laptop - the 2nd printer had no issues and only made one copy of the test page.

Makes me think that something is wrong with the configuration of the first printer, but it prints fine from a windows laptop/desktop, strange.

Cheers ;D

Nick

• Jalockin
    RE: Printer gone wild
    Thanks will try that. the printer is connected to a network switch in a rack, does that make any difference than hub/router? better get back at it ;)
    Link to this post 24 Jan 12

Thanks will try that.

the printer is connected to a network switch in a rack, does that make any difference than hub/router?

better get back at it ;)

• Jalockin
    Printer gone wild
    Hi again all of you.... New problem with my ubuntu/linux setup. I've recently installed a 25 laptop network with ubuntu 11.10..... Now I've added the network printer to all of them. Now the issue: When I try to print it prints, but if I only want to print a single page lets say the "printer test page", the printer continues to print out the test page untill i hit cancel current job on the printer, is it a setting problem ? and yes i have checked that i didn't ask the printer to print 100 copies ;) HP LaserJet 4015, what can i do ? Best Wishes Nick
    Link to this post 23 Jan 12

Hi again all of you....

New problem with my ubuntu/linux setup.

I've recently installed a 25 laptop network with ubuntu 11.10.....

Now I've added the network printer to all of them.

Now the issue:

When I try to print it prints, but if I only want to print a single page lets say the "printer test page", the printer continues to print out the test page untill i hit cancel current job on the printer, is it a setting problem ?

and yes i have checked that i didn't ask the printer to print 100 copies ;)

HP LaserJet 4015, what can i do ?

Best Wishes

Nick

• Jalockin
    RE: Installing on several computers/making an image
    thanks for all of your responses. I took a bite of poo, and started manually installing and configuring all 24 laptops - wasn't so bad, though i didn't want to look at Ubuntu for a while now ;) Cheers Nick
    Link to this post 23 Jan 12

thanks for all of your responses.

I took a bite of poo, and started manually installing and configuring all 24 laptops - wasn't so bad, though i didn't want to look at Ubuntu for a while now ;)

Cheers

Nick

• Jalockin
    Hi again guys/gals happy new year everyone @Marc: how do I do that? as i stated earlier I'm pretty new to the linux world, so it would be lovely if you could help me with basicly a step by step guide ~ if you care to,if you don't have any other plans :) Best Wishes Nick
    Link to this post 05 Jan 12

Hi again guys/gals

happy new year everyone

@Marc: how do I do that? as i stated earlier I'm pretty new to the linux world, so it would be lovely if you could help me with basicly a step by step guide ~ if you care to,if you don't have any other plans :)

Best Wishes

Nick

• Jalockin
    @Marc: I'm looking to do my modified version of the linux to an installer, I've made an Image with clonezilla, and it works sort of..... if the destination drive is slightly smaller than the drive that was used to make the image, the image restore fails. The problem with a normal linux installation is that I'll have to create all user accounts, and install antivirus programs and download all packages on every computer - i could do that but thats very time consuming, but this "image quest" have been to ;) but more fun. @Masen: Thats exactly what i want to do, but PXE is not really an option as I do not own a server :) I work at a school, and the 20 laptop is for the students ~ so they have to be exactly the same, as the one i have configured was hoping to avoid installing and configuring + installing virus software and packages on all 20, but it seems it has to be that way.... as I mention before CloneZilla works fine if the harddrive is exactly same size or larger (tho it is possible to ignore size on harddrives if you are "console safe" which I am not ;) have no really idea on how to use console. Any ideas are welcome, as I don't wanna spent christmas installing linux on 20-25 laptops ;) Nick
    Link to this post 20 Dec 11

@Marc: I'm looking to do my modified version of the linux to an installer, I've made an Image with clonezilla, and it works sort of..... if the destination drive is slightly smaller than the drive that was used to make the image, the image restore fails.
    The problem with a normal linux installation is that I'll have to create all user accounts, and install antivirus programs and download all packages on every computer - i could do that but thats very time consuming, but this "image quest" have been to ;) but more fun.

@Masen: Thats exactly what i want to do, but PXE is not really an option as I do not own a server :)

I work at a school, and the 20 laptop is for the students ~ so they have to be exactly the same, as the one i have configured was hoping to avoid installing and configuring + installing virus software and packages on all 20, but it seems it has to be that way.... as I mention before CloneZilla works fine if the harddrive is exactly same size or larger (tho it is possible to ignore size on harddrives if you are "console safe" which I am not ;) have no really idea on how to use console.

Any ideas are welcome, as I don't wanna spent christmas installing linux on 20-25 laptops ;)

Nick

• Jalockin
    hi again guys I've tried CloneZilla now, but the image that clonezilla makes, does not make the USB-stick bootable..... I might not have been good enough in my initial question.... The image must be bootable, is that possible in CloneZilla ? so that it is installed like a normal OS intallation, I know you guys know what I mean. (english is not my main language so bare with me :) ) Best Wishes Nick.
    Link to this post 19 Dec 11

hi again guys

I've tried CloneZilla now, but the image that clonezilla makes, does not make the USB-stick bootable..... I might not have been good enough in my initial question....

The image must be bootable, is that possible in CloneZilla ? so that it is installed like a normal OS intallation, I know you guys know what I mean. (english is not my main language so bare with me :) )

Best Wishes

Nick.

• Jalockin
    Thanks all of you I was looking at clonezilla before asking, just thought there where an easier way, but guess thats the way it is with Linux, can't both be free and easy all the time ;) Like installing a antiviral software was not so easy either (when your not used to the "language" of linux systems. again thanks and merry christmas everyone. Nick
    Link to this post 18 Dec 11

Thanks all of you

I was looking at clonezilla before asking, just thought there where an easier way, but guess thats the way it is with Linux, can't both be free and easy all the time ;)

Like installing a antiviral software was not so easy either (when your not used to the "language" of linux systems.

again thanks and merry christmas everyone.

Nick

• Jalockin
    Thanks Marc But i was thinking more like "installing" on the other laptops so they are "born" with all settings, updates and so forth when done installing. I can see that some linux iso's are included all updates up to a certain date, I just wanted to add antivirus and user accounts/settings, so that I don't have to create them on every single laptop ;) Best Wishes Nick
    Link to this post 16 Dec 11

Thanks Marc

But i was thinking more like "installing" on the other laptops so they are "born" with all settings, updates and so forth when done installing.

I can see that some linux iso's are included all updates up to a certain date, I just wanted to add antivirus and user accounts/settings, so that I don't have to create them on every single laptop ;)

Best Wishes

Nick

• Jalockin
    Installing on several computers/making an image
    Hi Folks I'm new here, and not so into the world of linux yet - but i have made some adjustments to the linux system i installed. Now, I have 20 laptops of the same type, with the same hardware - i want the same configuration on all of them from the laptop i have modified. I'm guessing i need to make an image of the "modified" laptop, but I have no idea on how to do so in linux, and google isn't of much help as I don't really know what to look for. So I'm hoping you guys can help me with some suggestions or maybe even the perfect solution ;) Thanks for all your help. Nick
    Link to this post 16 Dec 11

Hi Folks

I'm new here, and not so into the world of linux yet - but i have made some adjustments to the linux system i installed.

Now, I have 20 laptops of the same type, with the same hardware - i want the same configuration on all of them from the laptop i have modified. I'm guessing i need to make an image of the "modified" laptop, but I have no idea on how to do so in linux, and google isn't of much help as I don't really know what to look for.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me with some suggestions or maybe even the perfect solution ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Nick

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board