• Last Logged In: 21 Feb 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Korporal
    RE: efficient laptop computing display
    Thanks Rubberman, I too have a 15" 4:3 laptop display (IBM R52 running 1024 x 768) and only recently realized that it is no longer an option on new laptops, which all seem to use a 16:9 display ratio. Pixel resolutions and display size can be scaled for any aspect ratio, but I think most computing applications indicate 4:3 display aspect is much better than 16:9. We should have that standard restored as an option for new computers, and especially for laptops.
    Link to this post 21 Feb 12

Thanks Rubberman,

I too have a 15" 4:3 laptop display (IBM R52 running 1024 x 768) and only recently realized that it is no longer an option on new laptops, which all seem to use a 16:9 display ratio. Pixel resolutions and display size can be scaled for any aspect ratio, but I think most computing applications indicate 4:3 display aspect is much better than 16:9. We should have that standard restored as an option for new computers, and especially for laptops.

• Korporal
    RE: efficient laptop computing display
    The 4:3 aspect ratio is much better for most computing applications, and some even connect a 2nd monitor on their desk that is rotated into portrait orientation. The 4:3 display aspect for laptops should be returned as a common option. The "wide-screen" displays distribute the display aspect wrong: A 17" wide-screen displays less document text than a 15" display with 4:3 aspect. This adversely affects overall size, weight, and cost. We should revive the 4:3 monitor aspect for computing. One can still display wide-screen format on a 4:3 monitor, or they might use a tablet device when multi-media viewing is the primary function.
    Link to this post 20 Feb 12

The 4:3 aspect ratio is much better for most computing applications, and some even connect a 2nd monitor on their desk that is rotated into portrait orientation. The 4:3 display aspect for laptops should be returned as a common option. The "wide-screen" displays distribute the display aspect wrong: A 17" wide-screen displays less document text than a 15" display with 4:3 aspect. This adversely affects overall size, weight, and cost. We should revive the 4:3 monitor aspect for computing. One can still display wide-screen format on a 4:3 monitor, or they might use a tablet device when multi-media viewing is the primary function.

• Korporal
    efficient laptop computing display
    How can I buy a new laptop with a 4:3 aspect ratio for computing? Is it not just as well (better) to connect a second monitor for multimedia functions (like watching movies) and keeping the laptop as a mobile computing device?
    Link to this post 18 Feb 12

How can I buy a new laptop with a 4:3 aspect ratio for computing? Is it not just as well (better) to connect a second monitor for multimedia functions (like watching movies) and keeping the laptop as a mobile computing device?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board