• Last Logged In: 13 Mar 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • hraos
    best Linux for architects
    Hello! I am an architect in a small firm that barely manages, and I'm trying to avoid costly CAD software by switching to cheaper and free programs and applications. I never considered Linux before because AutoCAD - the main drafting program - hasn't been known to work on Linux. However, things change dramatically since I've tried to work in DraftSight and decided to test out several other linux-compatible alternatives. ( http://www.osalt.com/autocad ) [color=blue][b]I would like to try switching to Linux now and have the following questions[/b][/color]: [size=big]1.[/size] Which Linux distribution works best with graphic-intensive software? (supports graphic cards - although not the highest end) [size=big]2. [/size]Which Linux distribution would you recommend for me as a user? - I have never used Linux or DOS, but I've had to learn at least a dozen complex drafting programs in the last decade, I used to be able to write HTML and use other people's PHP scripts too. I'm prepared to take a few months to test it and get used to it. Grateful for answers, Hra
    Link to this post 12 Mar 12

Hello!

I am an architect in a small firm that barely manages, and I'm trying to avoid costly CAD software by switching to cheaper and free programs and applications. I never considered Linux before because AutoCAD - the main drafting program - hasn't been known to work on Linux.

However, things change dramatically since I've tried to work in DraftSight and decided to test out several other linux-compatible alternatives. ( http://www.osalt.com/autocad )

I would like to try switching to Linux now and have the following questions:

1. Which Linux distribution works best with graphic-intensive software? (supports graphic cards - although not the highest end)
    2. Which Linux distribution would you recommend for me as a user? - I have never used Linux or DOS, but I've had to learn at least a dozen complex drafting programs in the last decade, I used to be able to write HTML and use other people's PHP scripts too. I'm prepared to take a few months to test it and get used to it.

Grateful for answers,
    Hra

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board