• Last Logged In: 22 Mar 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Great Ape
    RE: Screen goes to sleep before install
    Update: through meddling with the boot menu I managed to access the "GNU GRUB" which gave me three options: install Ubuntu, Try without installing and check the disk. I've tried all three and in all cases the monitor just decides it has no signal and goes to sleep. Even though it's a brand new computer, looking at the boot options, it doesn't appear that booting from USB is an option.
    Link to this post 22 Mar 12

Update: through meddling with the boot menu I managed to access the "GNU GRUB" which gave me three options: install Ubuntu, Try without installing and check the disk. I've tried all three and in all cases the monitor just decides it has no signal and goes to sleep.

Even though it's a brand new computer, looking at the boot options, it doesn't appear that booting from USB is an option.

• Great Ape
    Screen goes to sleep before install
    Hi all, I am attempting to install the latest Ubuntu release on a brand new box that does not have an existing OS on it from a CD burnt from the download. The only problem is that I see some of the boot-up screens, then my monitor goes into power save mode and cannot be persuaded to come out of it. The install is doing something because if I press enter the CD spins up again like it's moving on through the process... I just have no idea what it's doing, which is less than ideal. Anybody know what I can do? Thanks.
    Link to this post 22 Mar 12

Hi all,

I am attempting to install the latest Ubuntu release on a brand new box that does not have an existing OS on it from a CD burnt from the download. The only problem is that I see some of the boot-up screens, then my monitor goes into power save mode and cannot be persuaded to come out of it. The install is doing something because if I press enter the CD spins up again like it's moving on through the process... I just have no idea what it's doing, which is less than ideal.

Anybody know what I can do?

Thanks.

• Great Ape
    Doing some research
    Hi all, My home (Windows) computer died recently, and I'm considering replacing it with a Linux box. I tried this once before ten years ago (sigh..) but it was too cumbersome. I mainly use my home computer for the internet, photos and home admin. No gaming or anything like that. From what I've found so far it seems Ubuntu would be the best flavour for me. I'd also like to check some other things: 1) I use 'Sandboxie' to run my web browsers in a sand pit. Is something equivalent available for Linux? 2) Is there an equivalent of 'FileHippo' to notify you of updates to installed programs? 3) Is there an equivalent of 'SpyBot' for removing spyware? 4) Is there such a thing as a Remote Desktop client for Linux? 5) I'm also interested in hard drive encryption and having dual-boot (the other being Windows) capability. Is there any conflict between these? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Link to this post 13 Mar 12

Hi all,

My home (Windows) computer died recently, and I'm considering replacing it with a Linux box. I tried this once before ten years ago (sigh..) but it was too cumbersome. I mainly use my home computer for the internet, photos and home admin. No gaming or anything like that.

From what I've found so far it seems Ubuntu would be the best flavour for me. I'd also like to check some other things:

1) I use 'Sandboxie' to run my web browsers in a sand pit. Is something equivalent available for Linux?
    2) Is there an equivalent of 'FileHippo' to notify you of updates to installed programs?
    3) Is there an equivalent of 'SpyBot' for removing spyware?
    4) Is there such a thing as a Remote Desktop client for Linux?
    5) I'm also interested in hard drive encryption and having dual-boot (the other being Windows) capability. Is there any conflict between these?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board