• Last Logged In: 29 Mar 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • tommy
    How to modify /etc/services?
    Do I have to edit it manually, or there's a command to modify it?
    Link to this post 22 Mar 12

Do I have to edit it manually, or there's a command to modify it?

• tommy
    RE: fifo doesn't work
    Thanks Marc. It turned out that the problem is not the bufferring, but something wrong inside the fifo file. I tried the pair of command [code]cat fifo1[/code] for several times, and it stopped to work at about the 4th time I tried. Even "unbuffer" could not change anything. Furthermore, writing to the fifo (without any reader) wouldn't block the command(echo >fifo1). Sometime later, it suddenly began to work, but writing without any reader still didn't block the command. Later I removed this fifo and created a new one, and now everything works fine. BTW, I put this fifo inside a Ubuntu One folder, so it's automatically synchronized to the server, and I'm not sure whether it's the cause. Thanks again. :)
    Link to this post 21 Mar 12

Thanks Marc. It turned out that the problem is not the bufferring, but something wrong inside the fifo file.
    I tried the pair of command

cat <fifo1 &
    echo "111" >fifo1

for several times, and it stopped to work at about the 4th time I tried. Even "unbuffer" could not change anything.
    Furthermore, writing to the fifo (without any reader) wouldn't block the command(echo >fifo1). Sometime later, it suddenly began to work, but writing without any reader still didn't block the command.

Later I removed this fifo and created a new one, and now everything works fine. BTW, I put this fifo inside a Ubuntu One folder, so it's automatically synchronized to the server, and I'm not sure whether it's the cause.

Thanks again. :)

• tommy
    fifo doesn't work
    When I try to pass some data trough an fifo, I can't get what I expect. First I creat an fifo named "fifo1" by using "mkfifo", and then I type the following commands: cat fifo1 It works sometimes since I can see the output("some data") from cat, but sometimes I cannot see any output. I'm now using Ubuntu 11.10 with Linux version 3.0.0-16-generic. What could be the cause? My guess is the buffering. Any solution to this? Thanks!
    Link to this post 20 Mar 12

When I try to pass some data trough an fifo, I can't get what I expect. First I creat an fifo named "fifo1" by using "mkfifo", and then I type the following commands:
    cat <fifo1&
    echo "some data" >fifo1

It works sometimes since I can see the output("some data") from cat, but sometimes I cannot see any output. I'm now using Ubuntu 11.10 with Linux version 3.0.0-16-generic.

What could be the cause? My guess is the buffering. Any solution to this? Thanks!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board