• Last Logged In: 03 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mabus627
    Ubuntu Lag?
    Ok, I just recently installed Ubuntu after having troubles getting Linux Mint to install and resizing my partitions. I am running Ubuntu right now and when loading pages it acts like my grand mother's extremely old mac, which when loading websites, has to reload every time you try to move up, down. or side-to-side on the page. Now, my laptop laptop is fairly fast and runs Vista well. My system has 2gb of Ram and a 2ghz processor and, as afore mentioned, it is running slowly and is very laggy. My question is why is it lagging so badly?
    Link to this post 20 May 09

Ok, I just recently installed Ubuntu after having troubles getting Linux Mint to install and resizing my partitions. I am running Ubuntu right now and when loading pages it acts like my grand mother's extremely old mac, which when loading websites, has to reload every time you try to move up, down. or side-to-side on the page.
    Now, my laptop laptop is fairly fast and runs Vista well.
    My system has 2gb of Ram and a 2ghz processor and, as afore mentioned, it is running slowly and is very laggy.
    My question is why is it lagging so badly?

• mabus627
    RE: Dual Booting help
    Ok, I'm not all that concerned about getting any more music, until i have a larger hard drive ( as mentioned before only 160gb ), which hopefully will be quite soon with my summer break coming up, I am only concerned with reading, but thank you on the suggestion, I will definitely keep that in mind once I i have that larger hard drive. The reason i won't really be using Linux as my only OS is because of my choice in PMP MP4. I have a Zune, which is incompatible with Linux in any form, which yes, angers me. Windows has been annoying me lately, and I am wanting to switch back over to XP to get away from Vista. So, writing to the partition won't really be a problem for me. Though as being a student, and as Linux is more stable then Vista, I may, end up creating an FAT partition anyway so i may read and write to these files from Vista. A couple of other things I think I'll need to know that would help me choose which I would be best off with, in terms of distro. 1. Me being a person who is big on media, and things of the like, which would make it easiest for me to access these files? 2. I, also, am almost always connected to the Internet on my laptop ( the computer I am wishing to dual boot ) so, I need to know which is easiest, and most reliable when connecting to the Internet, wirelessly, and hardlined. 3.As said before I'm a student. Which would be most reliable, in terms of writing in .doc, .xps, .docx, .rtf, and .txt? First Edit: Just to serve as a distinction, I am willing to learn all I can to get this to work for me. I am, also willing to work with it until it works for me. Second Edit: Yes, I know i am quite specific on what I need, and I,also, know that I may not get all of it, but I would at least like to have the Internet thing and the text documents.
    Link to this post 19 May 09

Ok, I'm not all that concerned about getting any more music, until i have a larger hard drive ( as mentioned before only 160gb ), which hopefully will be quite soon with my summer break coming up, I am only concerned with reading, but thank you on the suggestion, I will definitely keep that in mind once I i have that larger hard drive.

The reason i won't really be using Linux as my only OS is because of my choice in PMP MP4. I have a Zune, which is incompatible with Linux in any form, which yes, angers me. Windows has been annoying me lately, and I am wanting to switch back over to XP to get away from Vista. So, writing to the partition won't really be a problem for me.
    Though as being a student, and as Linux is more stable then Vista, I may, end up creating an FAT partition anyway so i may read and write to these files from Vista.

A couple of other things I think I'll need to know that would help me choose which I would be best off with, in terms of distro.
    1. Me being a person who is big on media, and things of the like, which would make it easiest for me to access these files?
    2. I, also, am almost always connected to the Internet on my laptop ( the computer I am wishing to dual boot ) so, I need to know which is easiest, and most reliable when connecting to the Internet, wirelessly, and hardlined.
    3.As said before I'm a student. Which would be most reliable, in terms of writing in .doc, .xps, .docx, .rtf, and .txt?

First Edit: Just to serve as a distinction, I am willing to learn all I can to get this to work for me. I am, also willing to work with it until it works for me.

Second Edit: Yes, I know i am quite specific on what I need, and I,also, know that I may not get all of it, but I would at least like to have the Internet thing and the text documents.

• mabus627
    Dual Booting help
    I'm going to be honest... I'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to dual booting and such. So, bear with me, if I frustrate you in anyway. Ok, my problem is that when i try to get Debian installed it wants to just gobble all my hard drive space. Now, I'm running a 160gb hdd with 2 partitions one that's 9.81gb and another that is 139gb ( Don't ask where the other space is, I have no clue ). Now on the 139 partition I have around 41gb left over, this is main partition that Vista is running everything from, where I keep all my media and such. The other partition is a recovery for Vista, personally I don't care what happens to this one, I HATE Vista, and am looking to get rid of it but as of now, I can't because I don't have a boot disk for XP. Now is there some way I can partition about 35gb of the man partition and then just wipe the 2nd and use it also? If not then ill just use part of the main partition and go from there. Any help is appreciated greatly. I won't be able to reply tonight and most of tomorrow because of school and my social life, but once I get back on I'll drop by here to talk again. THank you again for any help you can offer me. First Edit : Also is there anyway I can access my media FROM Debian into the other partition that Vista runs from? I have over 50gb of music that I am not willing to have on my hdd twice just to use it.
    Link to this post 18 May 09

I'm going to be honest... I'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to dual booting and such. So, bear with me, if I frustrate you in anyway.

Ok, my problem is that when i try to get Debian installed it wants to just gobble all my hard drive space. Now, I'm running a 160gb hdd with 2 partitions one that's 9.81gb and another that is 139gb ( Don't ask where the other space is, I have no clue ). Now on the 139 partition I have around 41gb left over, this is main partition that Vista is running everything from, where I keep all my media and such. The other partition is a recovery for Vista, personally I don't care what happens to this one, I HATE Vista, and am looking to get rid of it but as of now, I can't because I don't have a boot disk for XP. Now is there some way I can partition about 35gb of the man partition and then just wipe the 2nd and use it also? If not then ill just use part of the main partition and go from there. Any help is appreciated greatly.

I won't be able to reply tonight and most of tomorrow because of school and my social life, but once I get back on I'll drop by here to talk again. THank you again for any help you can offer me.

First Edit : Also is there anyway I can access my media FROM Debian into the other partition that Vista runs from? I have over 50gb of music that I am not willing to have on my hdd twice just to use it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board