• Last Logged In: 29 Aug 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Mountain High
    New Good Install – Monitor Now Blank?
    I just finished installing Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 on a new Pavilion p6-2117c desktop. The install went good. I believe the install formatted the full hard drive. Therefore, Windows 7 is off. When the install was finished, it rebooted and dropped me off at the user prompt. I performed ls –l and everything looked good. I left the system for about an hour and came back. The monitor LED light is flashing and I see nothing on the screen. So I typed some keys to awake, still nothing. I power on and off the monitor and it shows as if it is fine. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? THANKS
    Link to this post 29 Aug 12

I just finished installing Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 on a new Pavilion p6-2117c desktop.
    The install went good. I believe the install formatted the full hard drive. Therefore, Windows 7 is off.
    When the install was finished, it rebooted and dropped me off at the user prompt. I performed ls –l and everything looked good. I left the system for about an hour and came back.

The monitor LED light is flashing and I see nothing on the screen. So I typed some keys to awake, still nothing.

I power on and off the monitor and it shows as if it is fine.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

THANKS

• Mountain High
    Directories Empty?
    When I’m at work at my Windows 7 desktop. I use PuTTY to access the Web Server. The server is running Linux Ubuntu VER 8.10. I logon as root and I see the directories and I am able to maneuver up and down the directories. But there are NO files in the directories when I type ls. I am almost positive there are files in them because the Web site is working. What can be the problem? What is the difference logging on as super user or root? THANKS
    Link to this post 23 Aug 12

When I’m at work at my Windows 7 desktop. I use PuTTY to access the Web Server. The server is running Linux Ubuntu VER 8.10. I logon as root and I see the directories and I am able to maneuver up and down the directories. But there are NO files in the directories when I type ls. I am almost positive there are files in them because the Web site is working.

What can be the problem?

What is the difference logging on as super user or root?

THANKS

• Mountain High
    Need Help With Dual Boot Install.
    The 3 Books I bought: - PHP, My SQL and Apache 5th Edition By SAMS I plane to study this book in sequence. Programs build on each other. Comes with DVD and has: PHP 5.4, MySQL 5.5 and Apache 2.4 that I can install individually. Or I can install XAMPP that will install everything and give me an interface, to my understanding. - Beginning PHP and My SQL from Novice to Professional 4th Edition. By aPress This book is more of a reference, the topics do not build on each other. - Linux for Dummies 8 books in 1, 4th Edition. Comes with DVD and has: openSUSE, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu and Xandros. Plan A: For my studies, I would like to run Linux as OS and install Apache, MySQL and PHP to run a Web Server and to learn everything as I go. I would like to keep Windows 7 on this new HP Pavilion p6 series AMD Quad-Core A6-3650 Accelerated Processor PC and partition the hard drive to have a dual boot system. Then on the new partition install Linux and so on. Then I can start to have a wonderful life with open source. Plan B: As I understand, there is a flash drive that will boot Linux. First of all, I don’t know where to download it. Then if I did, will it change Windows 7 in anyway? Now – if I can run Linux off a flash drive, can all of the other software be install on the same flash drive and run properly and not change Windows 7 box at all??? Plan C: Format the drive and install Linux and so on. Plan D: Using the program XAMPP on the DVD from the book PHP, My SQL and Apache 5th Edition By SAMS and start learning PHP, MySQL and a little about Apache with Windows 7 as OS. But this will not give me Linux knowledge!!!!!!!!! One Last Item: What is the command to find out what type and version of Linux on work server?
    Link to this post 21 Aug 12

The 3 Books I bought:
    - PHP, My SQL and Apache 5th Edition By SAMS
    I plane to study this book in sequence. Programs build on each other.
    Comes with DVD and has: PHP 5.4, MySQL 5.5 and Apache 2.4 that I can install individually.
    Or I can install XAMPP that will install everything and give me an interface, to my understanding.

- Beginning PHP and My SQL from Novice to Professional 4th Edition. By aPress
    This book is more of a reference, the topics do not build on each other.

- Linux for Dummies 8 books in 1, 4th Edition.
    Comes with DVD and has: openSUSE, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu and Xandros.

Plan A:
    For my studies, I would like to run Linux as OS and install Apache, MySQL and PHP to run a Web Server and to learn everything as I go. I would like to keep Windows 7 on this new HP Pavilion p6 series AMD Quad-Core A6-3650 Accelerated Processor PC and partition the hard drive to have a dual boot system. Then on the new partition install Linux and so on. Then I can start to have a wonderful life with open source.

Plan B:
    As I understand, there is a flash drive that will boot Linux. First of all, I don’t know where to download it. Then if I did, will it change Windows 7 in anyway?

Now – if I can run Linux off a flash drive, can all of the other software be install on the same flash drive and run properly and not change Windows 7 box at all???

Plan C:
    Format the drive and install Linux and so on.

Plan D:
    Using the program XAMPP on the DVD from the book PHP, My SQL and Apache 5th Edition By SAMS and start learning PHP, MySQL and a little about Apache with Windows 7 as OS. But this will not give me Linux knowledge!!!!!!!!!

One Last Item:
    What is the command to find out what type and version of Linux on work server?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board