• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 30 Nov 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • MasterFrogg
    RE: Trying to decide. Need more information.
    [quote="Izzy1512"]Wait. What... Did I just advise you to buy Windows instead of trying Linux? On the official Linux forum? I guess my account is as good as gone. :D[/quote] This made me chuckle. I don't see why they would do that. You're simply giving me a realistic response. The truth is, Linux doesn't have the game support that I desire. I do appreciate your idea for the upgrade disk. Thank you.
    Link to this post 30 Nov 12

Izzy1512 said:

Wait. What... Did I just advise you to buy Windows instead of trying Linux? On the official Linux forum? I guess my account is as good as gone. :D

This made me chuckle. I don't see why they would do that. You're simply giving me a realistic response.

The truth is, Linux doesn't have the game support that I desire.
    I do appreciate your idea for the upgrade disk. Thank you.

• MasterFrogg
    RE: Trying to decide. Need more information.
    Actually, That was the conclusion I was coming to slowly. I really am intrigued by Linux, but as a desktop gamer, it does seem that I'll probably be sticking with Windows. I do appreciate your input, and if anyone else has anything to add, I look forward to hearing it. (Now off to try finding a deal on Microsoft's overpriced necessity of a system.)
    Link to this post 29 Nov 12

Actually, That was the conclusion I was coming to slowly.
    I really am intrigued by Linux, but as a desktop gamer, it does seem that I'll probably be sticking with Windows.

I do appreciate your input, and if anyone else has anything to add, I look forward to hearing it.

(Now off to try finding a deal on Microsoft's overpriced necessity of a system.)

• MasterFrogg
    Trying to decide. Need more information.
    Alright, here goes. I'm putting together a new machine, Phenom Quad Core, 8GB RAM, GT 520 Video Card. I'm currently running XP Home and I play a LOT of games on Steam, etc. However XP doesn't fully support my new setup, and finally gives me a reason to fully consider the switch to Linux. I've looked around at Wine, PlayonLinux, etc. So far the most positive sounding thing I've seen mentioned is a 'Windows VM' Could someone give more information about that? Will that eliminate the compatibility issues with Linux towards the games? Will that allow my system to utilize the full RAM and processor power available, which XP itself simply will not? Any other useful information would also be appreciated, thank you.
    Link to this post 28 Nov 12

Alright, here goes.

I'm putting together a new machine, Phenom Quad Core, 8GB RAM, GT 520 Video Card.

I'm currently running XP Home and I play a LOT of games on Steam, etc.
    However XP doesn't fully support my new setup, and finally gives me a reason to fully consider the switch to Linux.

I've looked around at Wine, PlayonLinux, etc.
    So far the most positive sounding thing I've seen mentioned is a 'Windows VM'

Could someone give more information about that?
    Will that eliminate the compatibility issues with Linux towards the games?
    Will that allow my system to utilize the full RAM and processor power available, which XP itself simply will not?

Any other useful information would also be appreciated, thank you.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board