• Last Logged In: 05 Oct 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • sven.hakonsson
    RE: Development bounty
    [b]dark_ixion wrote:[/b] [quote]Are there any schemes whereby people can pledge a bounty for an application to be created? We're obviously lucky to have so many people contributing applications and enhancements for Linux, but I personally would like to fund that development, or the development of new applications, which would then be released under a GPL licence.[/quote] Well, there are, of course, certain companies and programmers that offer to write code for an application in return for money, but then again that is not very open-source like. I'd think your best bet would just be to give money to Linux Foundation, so that they can keep paying Linus. :) Naturally, I suppose that it all depends on the type of application, amount of code, and so on.
    Link to this post 21 May 09

dark_ixion wrote:

Are there any schemes whereby people can pledge a bounty for an application to be created? We're obviously lucky to have so many people contributing applications and enhancements for Linux, but I personally would like to fund that development, or the development of new applications, which would then be released under a GPL licence.

Well, there are, of course, certain companies and programmers that offer to write code for an application in return for money, but then again that is not very open-source like. I'd think your best bet would just be to give money to Linux Foundation, so that they can keep paying Linus. :)

Naturally, I suppose that it all depends on the type of application, amount of code, and so on.

• sven.hakonsson
    RE: Haskell vs. C++
    Thanks. So the primary benefit to Haskell is in source code and structure.... I'll keep that in mind.
    Link to this post 21 May 09

Thanks. So the primary benefit to Haskell is in source code and structure.... I'll keep that in mind.

• sven.hakonsson
    No installation
    Whenever I try to install Mandriva Free 2009.0, it fails. That is to say, the installation does not report any errors, but on start-up it says that it can't find some directories. Is the installation simply failing to properly initialize the system, is there something wrong with the way I have the booting set up, or could it be that my Mandriva disk is flawed?
    Link to this post 20 May 09

Whenever I try to install Mandriva Free 2009.0, it fails. That is to say, the installation does not report any errors, but on start-up it says that it can't find some directories. Is the installation simply failing to properly initialize the system, is there something wrong with the way I have the booting set up, or could it be that my Mandriva disk is flawed?

• sven.hakonsson
    no webcam
    It seems that my webcam is not working. I assume that this is because it comes from Sony. Does anyone know of a good, Linux-compatible webcam?

It seems that my webcam is not working. I assume that this is because it comes from Sony. Does anyone know of a good, Linux-compatible webcam?

• sven.hakonsson
    RE: Linux Friendly GPS?
    Hm... I think Nokia has several devices with GPS capabilities. Many of these are unfortunately Symbian-based, however, the N810 uses Maemo, which is almost entirely Linux-Based. If you know C or C++, it is not that hard to integrate a program into Maemo, so long as it is based from GTK+, and is not too complex. Perhaps you should look into that.,

Hm... I think Nokia has several devices with GPS capabilities. Many of these are unfortunately Symbian-based, however, the N810 uses Maemo, which is almost entirely Linux-Based. If you know C or C++, it is not that hard to integrate a program into Maemo, so long as it is based from GTK+, and is not too complex. Perhaps you should look into that.,

• sven.hakonsson
    Haskell vs. C++
    I have been learning C++, and I now know much of the general syntax. Right now, I am concentrating on learning more of the Standard Template Library. However, I have also learned a bit of Haskell, not nearly as much, and I am interested by it. So, my question is, what are the basic performance differences that I would generally see if I used Haskell instead of C++, in regards to memory and speed?

I have been learning C++, and I now know much of the general syntax. Right now, I am concentrating on learning more of the Standard Template Library. However, I have also learned a bit of Haskell, not nearly as much, and I am interested by it.

So, my question is, what are the basic performance differences that I would generally see if I used Haskell instead of C++, in regards to memory and speed?

• sven.hakonsson
    Touchscreens
    Can anyone tell me about how compatible the various distributions are with touchscreen monitors? Is there any particular software or driver that will let me work with a touchscreen monitor? For example, if I were to get a Dell All-in-One PC with Touch-Screen capabilities, and install Linux on it, would I see any compatibility issues, and would there be a work-around?

Can anyone tell me about how compatible the various distributions are with touchscreen monitors? Is there any particular software or driver that will let me work with a touchscreen monitor?

For example, if I were to get a Dell All-in-One PC with Touch-Screen capabilities, and install Linux on it, would I see any compatibility issues, and would there be a work-around?

• sven.hakonsson
    RE: Desktop Environments
    Oh, I just realized that I wasn't logged on ...

Oh, I just realized that I wasn't logged on ...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board