• Last Logged In: 12 Mar 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Angelika_Anna
    RE: First time use of linux on laptop without OS
    Hey Izzy, Thanks for your answer! About the partition: until now i worked with windows - partitioning the hard drive into one smaller one, on which there would be the OS, a second partition for programs, a third for storing e.g. backups and data. With the "dual boot system" i would have to choose between windows and linux at the booting process? meaning i could not switch between OS while working on a dokument e.g. is there a major advantage to "dual booting"?! if i installed linux in a virtual box - it would need some memory space - would it be clever to create a separate partition (like above) for the virtual box? thanks
    Link to this post 11 Mar 13

Hey Izzy,

Thanks for your answer!

About the partition: until now i worked with windows - partitioning the hard drive into one smaller one, on which there would be the OS, a second partition for programs, a third for storing e.g. backups and data.

With the "dual boot system" i would have to choose between windows and linux at the booting process? meaning i could not switch between OS while working on a dokument e.g.
    is there a major advantage to "dual booting"?!

if i installed linux in a virtual box - it would need some memory space - would it be clever to create a separate partition (like above) for the virtual box?

thanks

• Angelika_Anna
    First time use of linux on laptop without OS
    Hello, I am a windows user for all my life now and just bought a lenovo thinkpad x230 without any OS pre-installed. I´m curious for linux and would like to try it. I have some questions: the thinkpad comes with intel core i5, 500GB ROM and 2x 4GB RAM. So i think i can use 64 bit versions of OS. I would like to use windows and linux. Do i create partitions and what size before installing any OS (i plan to install windows 7 pro and maybe for starters ubuntu)? Or is it best to install e.g. linux beforehand and run windows from there in a virtual box? I haven´t tried any of these options - please tell me about pro´s and con´s and how it would work in practice.. 2) there is literally nothing pre-installed - even BOOTMGR-which is apparently necessary for installing an image isn´t installed. How can i install a linux version best, then?!
    Link to this post 11 Mar 13

Hello,

I am a windows user for all my life now and just bought a lenovo thinkpad x230 without any OS pre-installed. I´m curious for linux and would like to try it.

I have some questions:
    the thinkpad comes with intel core i5, 500GB ROM and 2x 4GB RAM. So i think i can use 64 bit versions of OS. I would like to use windows and linux.
    Do i create partitions and what size before installing any OS (i plan to install windows 7 pro and maybe for starters ubuntu)? Or is it best to install e.g. linux beforehand and run windows from there in a virtual box?
    I haven´t tried any of these options - please tell me about pro´s and con´s and how it would work in practice..

2) there is literally nothing pre-installed - even BOOTMGR-which is apparently necessary for installing an image isn´t installed. How can i install a linux version best, then?!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board