• Last Logged In: 20 Aug 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • sea
    RE: Linux HDD for n00b
    Generaly say, every harddisk should work. Just as in Windows, if you want a Raid, it gets more complex. For Fedora specificly, i just started to write a little overview/crash course about partitions for newcomers to linux: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293428 (However, the general information is valid for all {to me} known linux distributions) Be aware that Fedora has a fast release cycle of just 6 months, so around the time Fedora 20 gets released, Fedora 18 becomes EOL. (end of life - no more updates if it runs stable, its up to you to decide to keep or 'Upgrade') Because of this, you most likley will be encouraged to do a fresh installation of the OS aproximetly at least every 18 months, rewarding you with a generaly stable release with the newestest software versions available in the wild. The straight skip to windows might be caused by the boot order set in BIOS. Move USB to a higher priority than the harddisk, so when you boot up with a pluged in USB device, it'll try to boot off that. To boot a LiveOS off an USB device, it doesnt matter if its an external HDD or just a simple 1GB stick. If you want to install the OS onto the USB device, i highly recomend a 16+GB stick or an external HDD. Hope this helps
    Link to this post 20 Aug 13

Generaly say, every harddisk should work.
    Just as in Windows, if you want a Raid, it gets more complex.

For Fedora specificly, i just started to write a little overview/crash course about partitions for newcomers to linux:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293428
    (However, the general information is valid for all {to me} known linux distributions)

Be aware that Fedora has a fast release cycle of just 6 months, so around the time Fedora 20 gets released, Fedora 18 becomes EOL. (end of life - no more updates if it runs stable, its up to you to decide to keep or 'Upgrade')
    Because of this, you most likley will be encouraged to do a fresh installation of the OS aproximetly at least every 18 months, rewarding you with a generaly stable release with the newestest software versions available in the wild.

The straight skip to windows might be caused by the boot order set in BIOS.
    Move USB to a higher priority than the harddisk, so when you boot up with a pluged in USB device, it'll try to boot off that.

To boot a LiveOS off an USB device, it doesnt matter if its an external HDD or just a simple 1GB stick.
    If you want to install the OS onto the USB device, i highly recomend a 16+GB stick or an external HDD.

Hope this helps

• sea
    RE: Multiple Linux OSes on 1 HDD
    Will Windows remain (survive) on the disk? Otherwise its quite simple with an MBR setup: 1) /boot - 4GB as you use it for 3-6 Linux' with each 3-5 kernels of each around 20-80mb. 2) /home - 2.5TB 3) swap - 8GB 4 -- EXTENDED -- 5) root of linux 1 - 8-24GB (usualy 12-16gb is enough) 6) root of linux 2 - ^^ 7) root of linux 3 - ^^ ... ... 25) root of linux 21 26) root of linux 22 27) root of linux 23 It could be that the 2.5 TB primary partition 2 is too large, in that case switch your primary-stable linux there and place /home as partition 5, so its no something 'in-between' and accidently gets deleted. hth
    Link to this post 09 Aug 13

Will Windows remain (survive) on the disk?

Otherwise its quite simple with an MBR setup:
    1) /boot - 4GB as you use it for 3-6 Linux' with each 3-5 kernels of each around 20-80mb.
    2) /home - 2.5TB
    3) swap - 8GB
    4 -- EXTENDED --
    5) root of linux 1 - 8-24GB (usualy 12-16gb is enough)
    6) root of linux 2 - ^^
    7) root of linux 3 - ^^
    25) root of linux 21
    26) root of linux 22
    27) root of linux 23

It could be that the 2.5 TB primary partition 2 is too large, in that case switch your primary-stable linux there and place /home as partition 5, so its no something 'in-between' and accidently gets deleted.

hth

• sea
    RE: Best free C IDE?
    Some like emacs or codeblocks, other prefer gleanny. As all i want is a cobalt theme my choice is gedit. After all, its just a matter of your taste and what you want/need of an application/IDE.
    Link to this post 09 Aug 13

Some like emacs or codeblocks, other prefer gleanny.
    As all i want is a cobalt theme my choice is gedit.

After all, its just a matter of your taste and what you want/need of an application/IDE.

• sea
    Greetings
    to everyone here, i'm new here :) Using Fedora Linux as a hobby for a bit over 2 years now. Looking a bit around a see other inputs and share my 2 cents ;) I'm a hobby developing enthusiast, also into packaging and custom spins, and an absolute terminal-lover (eventhough not a crack). Have a good day.
    Link to this post 07 Aug 13

to everyone here, i'm new here :)

Using Fedora Linux as a hobby for a bit over 2 years now.
    Looking a bit around a see other inputs and share my 2 cents ;)

I'm a hobby developing enthusiast, also into packaging and custom spins, and an absolute terminal-lover (eventhough not a crack).

Have a good day.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board