• Last Logged In: 12 Nov 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • rperkinsii
    Minimum Hardware Needed to start learning Linux
    Hello, Being new to Linux I've been wondering what is the suggested minimum setup needed to start playing with and learning Linux. First a little background. I have a chance at a job doing web hosting and while I have a background in programming with Basic, Fortran, Cobol, C, C++ and some HTML they want me to play with Linux and get some experience with it before interviewing me for a position, I'm guessing they want to wait a few months at the least. Anyway, I've been thinking about trying to pick up a used computer so I can install Linux and start going over the areas they want me to gain experience on and have looked at Craigslist but I'm not sure what type of system to concentrate on. I know there are lots of inexpensive used computers out there and figured it would be best to check with people that have used it and could recommend a good second computer solely for messing with Linux and getting used to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bob
    Link to this post 11 Nov 13

Hello,
    Being new to Linux I've been wondering what is the suggested minimum setup needed to start playing with and learning Linux.

First a little background.

I have a chance at a job doing web hosting and while I have a background in programming with Basic, Fortran, Cobol, C, C++ and some HTML they want me to play with Linux and get some experience with it before interviewing me for a position, I'm guessing they want to wait a few months at the least. Anyway, I've been thinking about trying to pick up a used computer so I can install Linux and start going over the areas they want me to gain experience on and have looked at Craigslist but I'm not sure what type of system to concentrate on. I know there are lots of inexpensive used computers out there and figured it would be best to check with people that have used it and could recommend a good second computer solely for messing with Linux and getting used to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board