• Last Logged In: 07 Dec 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • flobber
    RE: Installing Linux on an unsupported laptop
    Hello again, I ended up running Ubuntu from a LiveUSB (created using LiLi) and using that to partition my drive and install Ubuntu Linux on it. Later, I had to manually install GRUB2 in order to boot it, but now I am writing from within my fresh new Linux, so I am happy. Thanks for the help.
    Link to this post 05 Dec 13

Hello again,

I ended up running Ubuntu from a LiveUSB (created using LiLi) and using that to partition my drive and install Ubuntu Linux on it. Later, I had to manually install GRUB2 in order to boot it, but now I am writing from within my fresh new Linux, so I am happy.

Thanks for the help.

• flobber
    RE: Installing Linux on an unsupported laptop
    Thank you very much! I will try the suggested method and will report my success here.
    Link to this post 04 Dec 13

Thank you very much! I will try the suggested method and will report my success here.

• flobber
    Installing Linux on an unsupported laptop
    Hello there, I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p and to my disappointment I can not install any Linux distribution on it (I tried Ubuntu, Mint, and ArchLinux). They all hang after the loading screen (if there is any). Digging around I landed upon this: http://luv.asn.au/overheads/laptops.html which suggests that it might be "impossible" to install Linux on my machine. I am quite eager to get it to work though, so I would be happy for any pointers to documentation or articles I can read that would help me to get a working Linux system. Thanks.
    Link to this post 03 Dec 13

Hello there,

I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p and to my disappointment I can not install any Linux distribution on it (I tried Ubuntu, Mint, and ArchLinux). They all hang after the loading screen (if there is any).

Digging around I landed upon this: http://luv.asn.au/overheads/laptops.html which suggests that it might be "impossible" to install Linux on my machine. I am quite eager to get it to work though, so I would be happy for any pointers to documentation or articles I can read that would help me to get a working Linux system.

Thanks.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board