• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 16 Jan

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • nutoubuntu
    Black screen, blinking cursor, 'asking for cache data failed';after Ubuntu update
    Hi all, New to linux, ubuntu, and this forum. I have enjoyed ubuntu for the past few months, but after my last update installation ubuntu would boot to a black screen and blinking cursor. If I let it sit for a while it would give the following: 12.3456789 sd 6:0:0:0 [sdb] assuming drive cache: write through .............................asking for cache data failed It would then repeat the lines above but the numbers would get higher. It would never boot. I tried a live backtrack and knoppix usbs, and when trying to access my ubuntu files I get: THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA. From the graphical desktop, click on: "Access Your Private Data" or From the command line, run: ecryptfs-mount-private --- Running the above in a terminal gave me this:ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly I would ideally want to solve this problem and boot back into ubuntu, but if not, I really want to get my files off the hard drive so I can save them before I wipe and reinstall(yes, I should have backed up:() I have tried to edit the grub with nomodeset and rmmod the ums_realtek, and a few other things I have found with google. None have worked so far. Any suggestions on how to get my files back or even fix this? Thanks a million from a newbie.
    Link to this post 16 Jan

Hi all,
    New to linux, ubuntu, and this forum.
    I have enjoyed ubuntu for the past few months, but after my last update installation ubuntu would boot to a black screen and blinking cursor. If I let it sit for a while it would give the following:
    12.3456789 sd 6:0:0:0 [sdb] assuming drive cache: write through
    .............................asking for cache data failed
    It would then repeat the lines above but the numbers would get higher.
    It would never boot.

I tried a live backtrack and knoppix usbs, and when trying to access my ubuntu files I get:
    THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA.

From the graphical desktop, click on:
    "Access Your Private Data"

or

From the command line, run:
    ecryptfs-mount-private

---
    Running the above in a terminal gave me this:ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly

I would ideally want to solve this problem and boot back into ubuntu, but if not, I really want to get my files off the hard drive so I can save them before I wipe and reinstall(yes, I should have backed up:()

I have tried to edit the grub with nomodeset and rmmod the ums_realtek, and a few other things I have found with google. None have worked so far.

Any suggestions on how to get my files back or even fix this?

Thanks a million from a newbie.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board