• Last Logged In: 14 Oct

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • par_sand
    MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00
    In 802.3 Ethernet protocol....if MAC address is not assigned to a Ethernet controller (i.e. 00:00:00:00:00:00) is it allowed to receive broadcast frames (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)? I mean ARP Request frames from other nodes in the network. ~ Sandeep
    Link to this post 14 Oct

In 802.3 Ethernet protocol....if MAC address is not assigned to a Ethernet controller (i.e. 00:00:00:00:00:00) is it allowed to receive broadcast frames (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)?

I mean ARP Request frames from other nodes in the network.

~ Sandeep

• par_sand
    DHCP and AutoIp parallel triggering
    I want to trigger AutoIp/LinkLocal and DHCP address assignments parallel. But the response from the DHCP server is too slow. By the time I get a response from DHCP server the AutoIp address assignment is over and assigned to my interface (NIC). After this the DHCP frames (DISCOVER/REQUEST frames) have AutoIp address as source IPv4 address in IPv4 header. Is this correct? Will DHCP servers forward DHCP DISCOVER frames with non-zero source IPv4 address? Note: I am not using Linux stack but I have my own lean TcpIp stack. What is the behavior of Linux in this scenario?
    Link to this post 25 Mar

I want to trigger AutoIp/LinkLocal and DHCP address assignments parallel. But the response from the DHCP server is too slow. By the time I get a response from DHCP server the AutoIp address assignment is over and assigned to my interface (NIC). After this the DHCP frames (DISCOVER/REQUEST frames) have AutoIp address as source IPv4 address in IPv4 header.

Is this correct?

Will DHCP servers forward DHCP DISCOVER frames with non-zero source IPv4 address?

Note: I am not using Linux stack but I have my own lean TcpIp stack.

What is the behavior of Linux in this scenario?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board