• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 27 Apr

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • NeilGillespie
    RE: Linuxmint katya live distro/ can't install as i can't make sense of Partition tool/
    I have just got Linux mint on the hard drive now. You mention Linux native files, I shall indeed have to get my head round those. I would have loved a dual boot sys of course, with ubunto. I shall do that soon. I just want to play around with my new os for awhile. I have used windows for far too long :D The gparted tool eventually did , from my understaning, just one massive fat32 file system on one massive partition, if that's possible. The hardest bit was it kept saying need mount point to boot. I could never get pas that until if formatted the drive then I clicked on the mount part of the gui, and it mounted.
    Link to this post 27 Apr

I have just got Linux mint on the hard drive now. You mention Linux native files, I shall indeed have to get my head round those. I would have loved a dual boot sys of course, with ubunto. I shall do that soon. I just want to play around with my new os for awhile.

I have used windows for far too long :D

The gparted tool eventually did , from my understaning, just one massive fat32 file system on one massive partition, if that's possible. The hardest bit was it kept saying need mount point to boot. I could never get pas that until if formatted the drive then I clicked on the mount part of the gui, and it mounted.

• NeilGillespie
    RE: Linuxmint katya live distro/ can't install as i can't make sense of Partition tool/
    installed yesterday morning. Awesome os. Thanks for your help.
    Link to this post 27 Apr

installed yesterday morning. Awesome os. Thanks for your help.

• NeilGillespie
    Instead of getting the very screen you printed, after I enter my name , choose region, keyboard, gparted comes up. I have set it to partition whole drive as fat32. Hopefully after this mint will install. I will keep you posted.
    Link to this post 26 Apr

Instead of getting the very screen you printed, after I enter my name , choose region, keyboard, gparted comes up. I have set it to partition whole drive as fat32. Hopefully after this mint will install. I will keep you posted.

• NeilGillespie
    have located and downloaded gparted. Shall give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Link to this post 25 Apr

have located and downloaded gparted. Shall give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again.

• NeilGillespie
    Ok. Where do I find Gparted? Thanks. Your help is very much appreciated. I don't know if you are in the UK, but Linux user live distro dvd this month had a rescue program on the Dvd that came with the mag?, I wander if Gparted is on there? It would be the latest Distro's DvD with the uk edition of Linux user. Thanks.
    Link to this post 25 Apr

Ok. Where do I find Gparted? Thanks. Your help is very much appreciated. I don't know if you are in the UK, but Linux user live distro dvd this month had a rescue program on the Dvd that came with the mag?, I wander if Gparted is on there? It would be the latest Distro's DvD with the uk edition of Linux user.

Thanks.

• NeilGillespie
    I think I did get that screen, but some how I can't or don't get offered this now. Seem's to want me to partition or choose partitions myself. I was never very good at this in windows and Linux seems to be the same idea. Primary partitions, extended, etc mean not a lot to me. It seems to want a boot file, perhaps. Like a boot master record. ( yay I remembered, as was doing this last night).
    Link to this post 25 Apr

I think I did get that screen, but some how I can't or don't get offered this now. Seem's to want me to partition or choose partitions myself. I was never very good at this in windows and Linux seems to be the same idea. Primary partitions, extended, etc mean not a lot to me. It seems to want a boot file, perhaps. Like a boot master record. ( yay I remembered, as was doing this last night).

• NeilGillespie
    No. I get a screen that ask's me how I want to partition my drive. It won't let me go forward after this point. Also get a message saying linuxmint needs a mount point. I shall try again soon and get back to you with my findings. I am just really pleased to get help from a Linux expert.
    Link to this post 25 Apr

No. I get a screen that ask's me how I want to partition my drive. It won't let me go forward after this point. Also get a message saying linuxmint needs a mount point. I shall try again soon and get back to you with my findings. I am just really pleased to get help from a Linux expert.

• NeilGillespie
    Linuxmint katya live distro/ can't install as i can't make sense of Partition tool/
    Hi Folks, After buying the occasional Linux mag, and enjoying the open source movement values I decided to put linuxmint katya onto a desktop that I had Ubunto 13.0 on. Please note never got round to playing with ubunto so I am very much still a novice. I am CompTIA A + certified, and I have MTA in Server admin funds. Not massively qualified as you can see. Anyway I loved the look and feel of mint katya from the live distro and went ahead and tried to install. First I tried to install on virtual box, but it did not like the 64bit kernel. I then decided to install over ubunto on my desktop. Problem is I can't make head or tail of the Disk Partition tool. I was never very clued up on partitioning anyway and I guess it's time I did. All I want is a little help in understanding the partition tool and get linuxmint katya on my Desktop as it looks and feels just great from the live disk. I have tried to install but can't work out the partitioning at all. All help greatly appreciated. I also wandered if there is a possible bug in the distro and that I may be caught in a loop.
    Link to this post 25 Apr

Hi Folks,

After buying the occasional Linux mag, and enjoying the open source movement values I decided to put linuxmint katya onto a desktop that I had Ubunto 13.0 on. Please note never got round to playing with ubunto so I am very much still a novice. I am CompTIA A + certified, and I have MTA in Server admin funds. Not massively qualified as you can see. Anyway I loved the look and feel of mint katya from the live distro and went ahead and tried to install. First I tried to install on virtual box, but it did not like the 64bit kernel. I then decided to install over ubunto on my desktop. Problem is I can't make head or tail of the Disk Partition tool. I was never very clued up on partitioning anyway and I guess it's time I did. All I want is a little help in understanding the partition tool and get linuxmint katya on my Desktop as it looks and feels just great from the live disk. I have tried to install but can't work out the partitioning at all. All help greatly appreciated. I also wandered if there is a possible bug in the distro and that I may be caught in a loop.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board