• Last Logged In: 26 Apr

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • DesertCat
    RE: Linux Store
    I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm a long time Linux user (10+ years). A buddy (guru) and I are thinking of building a pair of mirror machines, so we have waded back out into the cruel world of hardware. My current setup was built 10 years ago consisting of a ASUS SK8V mobo, an AMD Opteron 246, and 2 GB of ECC RAM, and crammed into a full size tower holding a ton of hardware, including floppy drives of both sizes, 3 different CD-ROM players, and 4 different HD, running 4 different OS's. It serves as a workstation, and testbed (I'm the "official guinea pig")to test out new OS's before he commits to deploy them in a research environment. When it was built is *was* really high end at the time. Ten years later it is still running well, but it is now OLD. We are currently in the research phase of identifying components that will work well with LINUX. After searching, and searching I found what seems to be a nice Motherboard (I've already tossed a number out of consideration based on reviews, etc.). The board is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0), but there is very little information out there, few reviews, and most of what is out there is more from Windoze users, and precious little about how well this board works with Linux. I've done a lot of research and we've decide to go with --IF be build it -- a 95W AMD FX3600 six core processor and initially between 4-8 GB RAM, given that this mobo is expandable to 32 GM RAM, and we still have topside if we want to upgrade the processors, we expect that we will have computers that will be current for several years. Any information you could provide about how well this board works with LINUX would be greatly appreciated.
    Link to this post 26 Apr

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm a long time Linux user (10+ years). A buddy (guru) and I are thinking of building a pair of mirror machines, so we have waded back out into the cruel world of hardware. My current setup was built 10 years ago consisting of a ASUS SK8V mobo, an AMD Opteron 246, and 2 GB of ECC RAM, and crammed into a full size tower holding a ton of hardware, including floppy drives of both sizes, 3 different CD-ROM players, and 4 different HD, running 4 different OS's. It serves as a workstation, and testbed (I'm the "official guinea pig")to test out new OS's before he commits to deploy them in a research environment. When it was built is *was* really high end at the time. Ten years later it is still running well, but it is now OLD.

We are currently in the research phase of identifying components that will work well with LINUX. After searching, and searching I found what seems to be a nice Motherboard (I've already tossed a number out of consideration based on reviews, etc.). The board is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0), but there is very little information out there, few reviews, and most of what is out there is more from Windoze users, and precious little about how well this board works with Linux. I've done a lot of research and we've decide to go with --IF be build it -- a 95W AMD FX3600 six core processor and initially between 4-8 GB RAM, given that this mobo is expandable to 32 GM RAM, and we still have topside if we want to upgrade the processors, we expect that we will have computers that will be current for several years. Any information you could provide about how well this board works with LINUX would be greatly appreciated.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board