• Last Logged In: 14 Jun

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mondrago2
    RE: Advice for first Linux, please
    [quote="Jarfulous"]I've got 8GB o' RAM. I'm thinking probably either Ubuntu or Fedora. I mainly use my computer for games, if that matters.[/quote] just so you know, like ubuntu, its not running windows programs, but linux programs is then free, for games you will have to install wine for some games. ive ben ubuntu for a cople of days, and its pretty easy to get around with all the youtube movies and the community forums, so there is nothing to worry about if you get alittle stuck :)! but you will be stuck at some point as windows, but nothing you cant handle if you seach alittle. ubuntu is fast, and its free. and its pretty easy to fix problems, couse the salution is over the whole internet, and there are far far far less viruses!. try it out and if you get stuck, dont worry ask for help, and there could be a salution :)
    Link to this post 14 Jun

Jarfulous said:

I've got 8GB o' RAM. I'm thinking probably either Ubuntu or Fedora. I mainly use my computer for games, if that matters.

just so you know, like ubuntu, its not running windows programs, but linux programs is then free, for games you will have to install wine for some games. ive ben ubuntu for a cople of days, and its pretty easy to get around with all the youtube movies and the community forums, so there is nothing to worry about if you get alittle stuck :)! but you will be stuck at some point as windows, but nothing you cant handle if you seach alittle.

ubuntu is fast, and its free. and its pretty easy to fix problems, couse the salution is over the whole internet, and there are far far far less viruses!.

try it out and if you get stuck, dont worry ask for help, and there could be a salution :)

• mondrago2
    changing mac adress very hard!help
    hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b. ok so this is what ive tryed. sudo su=xxxx sudo ifconfig wlan0 down. sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66 sudo ifconfig wlan0 up . ifconfig now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66. when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter. now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer. then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress. so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1, so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........ ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress. so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS
    Link to this post 12 Jun

hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b.

ok so this is what ive tryed.

sudo su=xxxx
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down.
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig
    now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66.

when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter.

now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer.

then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress.

so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1,

so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........
    ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress.

so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS

• mondrago2
    RE: why linux instead of windows 7?
    im running two operation on this laptop, but i was like thinking of bringing this for other people, why could they install linux, but switching betwin more operation system can be alot of stress and installing it virtual may use a lot of memory and process when you are gaming and listening to music at the same time, but its a good point you have there, you can install many games as the link you sended, but i was installing spotify, on my ubuntu, i guess its the same thing on mint? this world be hard way to add trusted repositories for my grandma or any other famelies that may not be that smart, if they world like to watch netflix or something. i installed netflix on ubuntu and it wasnt really that confortable at all, there was some lagging, and late picture. working fine in win7, but world games act like the netflix do, will it not be that compatible like it is in win7?
    Link to this post 09 Jun

im running two operation on this laptop, but i was like thinking of bringing this for other people, why could they install linux, but switching betwin more operation system can be alot of stress and installing it virtual may use a lot of memory and process when you are gaming and listening to music at the same time, but its a good point you have there, you can install many games as the link you sended,

but i was installing spotify, on my ubuntu, i guess its the same thing on mint?
    this world be hard way to add trusted repositories for my grandma or any other famelies that may not be that smart, if they world like to watch netflix or something.

i installed netflix on ubuntu and it wasnt really that confortable at all, there was some lagging, and late picture. working fine in win7,

but world games act like the netflix do, will it not be that compatible like it is in win7?

• mondrago2
    why linux instead of windows 7?
    hi guys, ok so my question is, why chose linux instead of win7? ok so ive google it and readed some of the topics and the main reason is: faster. more secure/safe when thinking about virus and stuff. more free software. linux is free. win7= compatible drivers. softwares is comfotable easy to get around couse its probably the operat system you used most or only. its more user friendly games running comfortable ive listed about some things good, and nothing negativ, but my question is... why linux? im about 19 years old, im using my computer to download movies and play game's for mostly, and used windows all my life, so there is like nothing for me to worry about without one ting! <<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> so yes virus is a problem, but there are also virus on ubuntu, but not that much. so linux have some compatible problems with videocards and network cards and some other hardware's, and its also not compatible with alot of game's like teso or world of warcraft or oblivion, or the olds games, so why could i choose linux over win7? the way i want to make this tread is mostly not for my self, but to find a good reasons why could people choose linux. i know there is all kind of ways around the system, and a lot of different linux os. but if you could get ur grandma or ur mommy to use this os, why could they choose it? so this is the question i mean people could get read about, and see the negativ and posetiv sides about, so il let you come with some arguments now. thanks you for answering and your compassion.
    Link to this post 09 Jun

hi guys, ok so my question is, why chose linux instead of win7?

ok so ive google it and readed some of the topics and the main reason is:

faster.
    more secure/safe when thinking about virus and stuff.
    more free software.
    linux is free.

win7=

compatible drivers.
    softwares is comfotable
    easy to get around couse its probably the operat system you used most or only.
    its more user friendly
    games running comfortable

ive listed about some things good, and nothing negativ, but my question is...

why linux?

im about 19 years old, im using my computer to download movies and play game's for mostly,
    and used windows all my life, so there is like nothing for me to worry about without one ting! <<<<<<<<VIRUS>>>>>>>>>>
    so yes virus is a problem, but there are also virus on ubuntu, but not that much.

so linux have some compatible problems with videocards and network cards and some other hardware's,

and its also not compatible with alot of game's like teso or world of warcraft or oblivion, or the olds games, so why could i choose linux over win7?

the way i want to make this tread is mostly not for my self, but to find a good reasons why could people choose linux.

i know there is all kind of ways around the system, and a lot of different linux os.

but if you could get ur grandma or ur mommy to use this os, why could they choose it?

so this is the question i mean people could get read about, and see the negativ and posetiv sides about, so il let you come with some arguments now.

thanks you for answering and your compassion.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board