• Last Logged In: 07 Aug

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • willytheworm
    RE: boot problem
    What happens when you boot (turn it on)?
    Link to this post 06 Aug

What happens when you boot (turn it on)?

• willytheworm
    RE: external hdd instead of cd?
    If you are using Windows download Win32 Disk Imager! http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ In Win32 Disk Imager you have to select the img/iso to burn and the hdd to burn to (which of course should be connected to your Pc xD). Attention: Do not burn to another hdd, because it would erase all data on it (dont burn to your windows hdd).
    Link to this post 05 Aug

If you are using Windows download Win32 Disk Imager!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

In Win32 Disk Imager you have to select the img/iso to burn and the hdd to burn to (which of course should be connected to your Pc xD). Attention: Do not burn to another hdd, because it would erase all data on it (dont burn to your windows hdd).

• willytheworm
    RE: Linux for PowerBook G4 10.4.9
    Because it is an old Laptop I would choose a small and fast operating system. Look up arch linux, lubuntu, or anything like that. Just search for "Linux fast and lightweight" and choose a distro suiting you the most. But watch out!: Most of the fast/lightweight distros come without any additional Software, so you have to setup them manually. Look for a distro for beginners, if youre not familiar with Linux. Links: https://www.archlinux.org/download/ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
    Link to this post 05 Aug

Because it is an old Laptop I would choose a small and fast operating system.
    Look up arch linux, lubuntu, or anything like that. Just search for "Linux fast and lightweight" and choose a distro suiting you the most.
    But watch out!: Most of the fast/lightweight distros come without any additional Software, so you have to setup them manually. Look for a distro for beginners, if youre not familiar with Linux.

Links:
    https://www.archlinux.org/download/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

• willytheworm
    RE: Oh no not another complete Nooby
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVV-b6s5ysU&index=8&list=PLmvie4C-QPFdOnsRNKPAqQ5NTE_tJRjws Watch the whole playlist, because answering all these questions would take too long for me :)
    Link to this post 05 Aug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVV-b6s5ysU&index=8&list=PLmvie4C-QPFdOnsRNKPAqQ5NTE_tJRjws

Watch the whole playlist, because answering all these questions would take too long for me :)

• willytheworm
    RE: Update issues on Kubuntu 14.04
    I do not know Kubuntu or how/what you tried to update. If you are trying to update your system (this would also automatically update all of your apps) try to open a terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install update". After it is completed type in "sudo apt-get upgrade". If this does not work the sources list aptitude uses for downloading (the list contains the urls) may be broken. You may then look for your problem on the internet or post the error here... By the way: Your screenshot link is not working... :)
    Link to this post 29 Jul

I do not know Kubuntu or how/what you tried to update. If you are trying to update your system (this would also automatically update all of your apps) try to open a terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install update". After it is completed type in "sudo apt-get upgrade". If this does not work the sources list aptitude uses for downloading (the list contains the urls) may be broken. You may then look for your problem on the internet or post the error here...

By the way: Your screenshot link is not working... :)

• willytheworm
    RE: I have questions about Linux before I install it as my OS
    Cinnamon basically has no remote support (I think). But if sbd has access to it, he could download a remote desktop tool and enable it. Make sure this cannot happen, when you download Cinnamon. If you need to be extremely anonymous download tail os: https://tails.boum.org/ and use tor to browse the internet. Ps. If your Cmd on your WIndows isnt disabled start it up and type these commands: net view -> this lets you see whos connected to your network netstat -> this shows the tcp connections (ips accessing your pc) tracert [ip] -> track the route of the ip nslookup [ip] -> show the name of the server ip is from if you found an ip accessing your pc, while it shouldnt, trace it til you get the provider and contact him (give him the ip hacking you, etc). PPs. If I would be you, I would strike back... =P But since you dont have knowledge about social engineering I would set up a honeypot and record the activities in your pc... Keep in mind, that it is very easy to see what you are surfing while youre surfing the internet. Make sure to run net view/stat or at least boot to linux, download wireshark and watch what is connected to your Pc. :)
    Link to this post 22 Jul

Cinnamon basically has no remote support (I think). But if sbd has access to it, he could download a remote desktop tool and enable it. Make sure this cannot happen, when you download Cinnamon. If you need to be extremely anonymous download tail os: https://tails.boum.org/
    and use tor to browse the internet.

Ps. If your Cmd on your WIndows isnt disabled start it up and type these commands:
    net view -> this lets you see whos connected to your network
    netstat -> this shows the tcp connections (ips accessing your pc)
    tracert [ip] -> track the route of the ip
    nslookup [ip] -> show the name of the server ip is from
    if you found an ip accessing your pc, while it shouldnt, trace it til you get the provider and contact him (give him the ip hacking you, etc).

PPs. If I would be you, I would strike back... =P But since you dont have knowledge about social engineering I would set up a honeypot and record the activities in your pc...

Keep in mind, that it is very easy to see what you are surfing while youre surfing the internet. Make sure to run net view/stat or at least boot to linux, download wireshark and watch what is connected to your Pc. :)

• willytheworm
    RE: external hdd instead of cd?
    Ehh do you want to burn sth to cd or to hdd?
    Link to this post 22 Jul

Ehh do you want to burn sth to cd or to hdd?

• willytheworm
    RE: [closed]Publish a program
    solved
    Link to this post 20 Jul

solved

• willytheworm
    RE: I have questions about Linux before I install it as my OS
    1. They broke into your apartment!?! Have you called the police!? 2. Its pretty easy to hack into a Windows System, as long as you do not have a Bios Password/Password on bootup/boot password. You can simply boot another os and access the windows hdd from it. There you can modify it... This can (of course) be done with Linux (e.g. as a life boot from usb/cdrom). If you had set a bios password, etc. They may have opened your Case and modified the motherboard (reset the bios). 3. Indeed you can! If you are looking for a minimalistic os go for arch linux. It is basically just a linux os without any unessecary apps. You have to download them all on your own. If you are looking for sth more easy you can still pick up debian or ubuntu. They come with a few tools installed, but not with as many as windows. Also you can remove apps, just the way like you can remove them in windows. Boot from another os (if you dont have any privilegies). 4. solution: If you do not have any administrative privilegies you could try to download an os (like a small linux distro) to a usb/cdrom (you may ask a friend to download it for you, if you cannot do it) and burn it to the usb (to burn the img/iso you can use a program like win32 disk imager). Then you simply boot from your usb/cdrom and format the hdd containing windows. After that you can reinstall windows or try another os. Maybe it would be enough to just boot from your windows cdrom (if your copy was not preinstalled) and select repair. Another solution would be to remove the programs yourself (without having to delete your os)- just boot from another os and delete programs there or go to your windows system32 directory and rename sethc.exe to sethc2.exe and rename cmd.exe to sethc.exe. If you then boot to your windows (at the enter password screen) press shift 5x and you will be presented with the command-prompt. You are now nt-authority and have administrative privilegies. Try to experiment with the cmd and google the functions you can do with it, to remove software/users from there. Excuse grammar mistakes =) I hope i got your question right and answered it. If you have any questions left, ask! :) Ps. If your question just was if linux is safer than windows -> no not really. Many people say it is but every os, no matter if it is linux or windows, has its downsides. But in my opinion Windows has more backdoors and is in general not as clear as linux (In linux you always know what you have installed (especially in arch linux), but in windows you get many application, that you dont know about or dont even want). I prefer linux as i have an overview about all my programs installed. It is clear structured and easy if you got into it. I would definetly recommend it - just try it... =)
    Link to this post 20 Jul

1. They broke into your apartment!?! Have you called the police!?
    2. Its pretty easy to hack into a Windows System, as long as you do not have a Bios Password/Password on bootup/boot password. You can simply boot another os and access the windows hdd from it. There you can modify it... This can (of course) be done with Linux (e.g. as a life boot from usb/cdrom). If you had set a bios password, etc. They may have opened your Case and modified the motherboard (reset the bios).
    3. Indeed you can! If you are looking for a minimalistic os go for arch linux. It is basically just a linux os without any unessecary apps. You have to download them all on your own. If you are looking for sth more easy you can still pick up debian or ubuntu. They come with a few tools installed, but not with as many as windows. Also you can remove apps, just the way like you can remove them in windows. Boot from another os (if you dont have any privilegies).
    4. solution: If you do not have any administrative privilegies you could try to download an os (like a small linux distro) to a usb/cdrom (you may ask a friend to download it for you, if you cannot do it) and burn it to the usb (to burn the img/iso you can use a program like win32 disk imager). Then you simply boot from your usb/cdrom and format the hdd containing windows. After that you can reinstall windows or try another os. Maybe it would be enough to just boot from your windows cdrom (if your copy was not preinstalled) and select repair.
    Another solution would be to remove the programs yourself (without having to delete your os)- just boot from another os and delete programs there or go to your windows system32 directory and rename sethc.exe to sethc2.exe and rename cmd.exe to sethc.exe.
    If you then boot to your windows (at the enter password screen) press shift 5x and you will be presented with the command-prompt. You are now nt-authority and have administrative privilegies. Try to experiment with the cmd and google the functions you can do with it, to remove software/users from there.

Excuse grammar mistakes =)
    I hope i got your question right and answered it.
    If you have any questions left, ask! :)

Ps. If your question just was if linux is safer than windows -> no not really. Many people say it is but every os, no matter if it is linux or windows, has its downsides. But in my opinion Windows has more backdoors and is in general not as clear as linux (In linux you always know what you have installed (especially in arch linux), but in windows you get many application, that you dont know about or dont even want). I prefer linux as i have an overview about all my programs installed. It is clear structured and easy if you got into it. I would definetly recommend it - just try it... =)

• willytheworm
    RE: CD/DVD vs USB drive>
    If you are using Windows just download a tool like Win32 Disk-imager http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ and burn the img/iso of your linux copy to the usb-stick. Then restart your Pc, access your bios and boot to the Usb-drive -> Linux should boot... Ps. Take a fast usb-stick... =)
    Link to this post 19 Jul

If you are using Windows just download a tool like Win32 Disk-imager http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ and burn the img/iso of your linux copy to the usb-stick.
    Then restart your Pc, access your bios and boot to the Usb-drive -> Linux should boot...

Ps. Take a fast usb-stick... =)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board