• Last Logged In: 08 Aug

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jkirchner
    RE: Noob deciding about Linux
    The best place to find out if something will run under Wine is to check the [url=https://appdb.winehq.org/]Wine AppDB[/url]. Or, ask about specific programs here. Often, the best solution, if you must run winodws based programs is to run them in windows. I have a desktop that I dual boot just for that purpose, there are some programs that just run better in the OS they were wirtten for. I have found also, that there are many alternatives in the Linux world to use in place of windows applications, like Gimp instead of Photoshop, and LibreOffice in place of Word (though there can be some inconsistencies with passing files from LibreOffice to MS Office at times). I have also found that I am using windows less and less as I become more familiar with Linux. So, if you have specific apps you are curious about, check the Wine appdb or ask here :)
    Link to this post 02 Aug

The best place to find out if something will run under Wine is to check the Wine AppDB. Or, ask about specific programs here.

Often, the best solution, if you must run winodws based programs is to run them in windows. I have a desktop that I dual boot just for that purpose, there are some programs that just run better in the OS they were wirtten for.

I have found also, that there are many alternatives in the Linux world to use in place of windows applications, like Gimp instead of Photoshop, and LibreOffice in place of Word (though there can be some inconsistencies with passing files from LibreOffice to MS Office at times). I have also found that I am using windows less and less as I become more familiar with Linux.

So, if you have specific apps you are curious about, check the Wine appdb or ask here :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board