• Last Logged In: 07 Sep 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • favoretti
    RE: Need some good distro ideas
    I suppose you could install debian (without X for starters) if, as previous posters already mentioned, you are commandline savvy. Minimal debian installation is rather tiny. Then you could try expanding it with X and with some light-weight window manager. Good luck, Vlad
    Link to this post 02 Jun 09

I suppose you could install debian (without X for starters) if, as previous posters already mentioned, you are commandline savvy. Minimal debian installation is rather tiny. Then you could try expanding it with X and with some light-weight window manager.

Good luck,

Vlad

• favoretti
    RE: How to create a new root file system?
    Hi, Well, then indeed you could follow LFS manual for installation of vital software that you'd need besides of the kernel. Create root partition, create swap. Mount the root partition somewhere where you will be able to install other software, say /mnt/root. Enable swap (swapon -v /dev/XXX). Start getting and compiling packages now :) Though, if you really wanna follow the whole process from A to Z, I do indeed recommend building n LFS system once. Just make sure you have a decent PC or a lot of time :) Cheers, Vlad EDIT: Actually, you say you're learning about Linux... If this is your first time installing any kind of linux, I'd still start from some seasoned distribution with more user-friendly installers ;)

Hi,

Well, then indeed you could follow LFS manual for installation of vital software that you'd need besides of the kernel.

Create root partition, create swap. Mount the root partition somewhere where you will be able to install other software, say /mnt/root. Enable swap (swapon -v /dev/XXX). Start getting and compiling packages now :)

Though, if you really wanna follow the whole process from A to Z, I do indeed recommend building n LFS system once. Just make sure you have a decent PC or a lot of time :)

Cheers,
    Vlad

EDIT: Actually, you say you're learning about Linux... If this is your first time installing any kind of linux, I'd still start from some seasoned distribution with more user-friendly installers ;)

• favoretti
    RE: PIPE questions for Linux 2.4 setup
    Hi, There's a patch to increase pipe capacity at http://lse.sourceforge.net/pipe/. Pipe capacity, however, is not the same as PIPE_BUF, which is the maximum size of a guaranteed atomic write (please correct me on this if I'm wrong). The patch above doesn't affect PIPE_BUF though. Judging from the code of the patch, however, the approach they took is to allocate multiple pages to increase PIPE_SIZE. So my partially educated guess would be answering your Q2 with a 'no' :) If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to increase the page size? Cheers, Vlad

Hi,

There's a patch to increase pipe capacity at http://lse.sourceforge.net/pipe/.

Pipe capacity, however, is not the same as PIPE_BUF, which is the maximum size of a guaranteed atomic write (please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

The patch above doesn't affect PIPE_BUF though.

Judging from the code of the patch, however, the approach they took is to allocate multiple pages to increase PIPE_SIZE. So my partially educated guess would be answering your Q2 with a 'no' :)

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to increase the page size?

Cheers,
    Vlad

• favoretti
    RE: How to create a new root file system?
    Hi there, Could you please elaborate a bit on what you're trying to achieve? "Create a new root file system a kernel" ? Cheers, Vlad

Hi there,

Could you please elaborate a bit on what you're trying to achieve? "Create a new root file system a kernel" ?

Cheers,
    Vlad

• favoretti
    RE: Index file order in DirectoryIndex is not working
    Hi Nick, Well, for starters a few basic checks: 1) Is your dir_module linked to mods-enabled? 2) Do you have index.pl or index.php in the directory you're trying to access? 3) In which section of the configuration file did you put this directive? VirtualHost, General section, inside directive? Cheers, Vlad

Hi Nick,

Well, for starters a few basic checks:
    1) Is your dir_module linked to mods-enabled?
    2) Do you have index.pl or index.php in the directory you're trying to access?
    3) In which section of the configuration file did you put this directive? VirtualHost, General section, inside <Directory> directive?

Cheers,
    Vlad

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board