• Last Logged In: 15 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Rovanion
    RE: booting live cd to dual boot system
    Then one very easy question can determine which class of distro you are going for. How much RAM do you have?
    Link to this post 04 Sep 09

Then one very easy question can determine which class of distro you are going for. How much RAM do you have?

• Rovanion
    RE: Advice for choosing a linux distro please
    Yes the best tip I can give you is to try around with some different distributions. Once you find one you like you can always customize it even further to your liking. Find one that works great and then make it yours!
    Link to this post 04 Sep 09

Yes the best tip I can give you is to try around with some different distributions. Once you find one you like you can always customize it even further to your liking. Find one that works great and then make it yours!

• Rovanion
    RE: how to use man
    The syntax is something like man So for starters run: man man
    Link to this post 02 Sep 09

The syntax is something like

man <command-you-want-the-manual-for>

So for starters run:
    man man

• Rovanion
    RE: Black Window? Command Prompt?
    Is it true that you have to solve dependencies yourself when dealing with Slackware?
    Link to this post 02 Sep 09

Is it true that you have to solve dependencies yourself when dealing with Slackware?

• Rovanion
    RE: Windows died, want linux, but also to keep data
    There are two different scenarios here: 1. Your NTFS partition is broken, or at least the index of it. 2. Windows is what's broken and your NTFS partition is still operable. So what you should do is to download a LiveCD or DVD of your favourite Linux flavour, I would for a newcomer recommend Linux Mint, burn it out to a CD/DVD and see what state your NTFS partition is in. If you're lucky it's only Windows that has broken down you should be able to read your NTFS partition from the liveCD without having to do anything. In that case you should also be able to resize the NTFS partition to make room for your new Linux partition. This will be explained to you in the installation guide, do not panic! If you're unlucky your scenario is number 2 and you have a rougher path ahead. In that case you will have to run rescue software for your NTFS partition to get your data back.
    Link to this post 31 Aug 09

There are two different scenarios here:
    1. Your NTFS partition is broken, or at least the index of it.
    2. Windows is what's broken and your NTFS partition is still operable.

So what you should do is to download a LiveCD or DVD of your favourite Linux flavour, I would for a newcomer recommend Linux Mint, burn it out to a CD/DVD and see what state your NTFS partition is in.

If you're lucky it's only Windows that has broken down you should be able to read your NTFS partition from the liveCD without having to do anything. In that case you should also be able to resize the NTFS partition to make room for your new Linux partition. This will be explained to you in the installation guide, do not panic!

If you're unlucky your scenario is number 2 and you have a rougher path ahead. In that case you will have to run rescue software for your NTFS partition to get your data back.

• Rovanion
    RE: Dual Booting DSL and Windows XP
    I had never heard of openLinux before but as I googled it up it seems to be an early Linux desktop made in 1995 by a company called Caldera. Caldera which also seems to be a division of Novell nowadays. But I did not find any recent versions of it and on DistroWatch.com it's listed in an article about distributions called "Gone but not forgotten". So why would you want to run a really really really old distribution or am I missing something? But yes dualbooting is really a walk in the park with a modern installer. But it's not hard either with a standard install of grub. All that's needed is just: title Windows is a vacuum cleaner rootnoverify (hd0,0) chainloader +1 makeactive in your /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Link to this post 28 Aug 09

I had never heard of openLinux before but as I googled it up it seems to be an early Linux desktop made in 1995 by a company called Caldera. Caldera which also seems to be a division of Novell nowadays. But I did not find any recent versions of it and on DistroWatch.com it's listed in an article about distributions called "Gone but not forgotten".

So why would you want to run a really really really old distribution or am I missing something?

But yes dualbooting is really a walk in the park with a modern installer. But it's not hard either with a standard install of grub. All that's needed is just:

title Windows is a vacuum cleaner
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

in your /boot/grub/menu.lst

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board