• Last Logged In: 10 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • metaylor
    Linking Error
    I am having problems resolving a linking error and I am hoping to get some assistance. I am using F12 x86_64 and the Intel compiler. 11.1.072. I get a linking error (see attached) when I execute the following command; icpc -shared-intel -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/tbb/lib/intel64 -m64 -use-msasm -o"ipdt64" $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS) $(LIBS) [img size=800]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/error_message.PNG[/img]
    Link to this post 14 Sep 10

I am having problems resolving a linking error and I am hoping to get some assistance.

I am using F12 x86_64 and the Intel compiler. 11.1.072. I get a linking error (see attached) when I execute the following command;

icpc -shared-intel -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/tbb/lib/intel64 -m64 -use-msasm -o"ipdt64" $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS) $(LIBS)

• metaylor
    RE: GPL equivalent to Apache Xerces-C++
    Good info, Thanks
    Link to this post 17 Aug 10

Good info, Thanks

• metaylor
    GPL equivalent to Apache Xerces-C++
    Can anyone tell me if there is a GPL/GPLV2 parser equivalent to Apache Xerces-C++?
    Link to this post 12 Aug 10

Can anyone tell me if there is a GPL/GPLV2 parser equivalent to Apache Xerces-C++?

• metaylor
    RE: migrating custom kickstart files
    [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]I don't see anything arch specific in the kickstart setup. The option to point to repos would probably rely on the variables like release $releasever and $basearch, so if your using that option I would just check to see if they are set correctly. This is coming from someone who has just read up on kickstart, but who has never used it, so, just far warning. This link may be helpful: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart[/quote] Yes, it appeared to me that the section on repos was the same in the kickstart files and dependent on the values of the variables. However I was not able to figure out when/how the variables are set. So I created a "test" image using the desktop kickstart (unmodified) and monitored the output which looks something like Retrieving http://linux.mirrors.es.net/fedora/releases/....... And this shows the correct values for the variables. So i will copy my custom kickstart files over and give it a shot.I will also review the link you provided as it looks informative Thanks for the reply
    Link to this post 06 Aug 10

Goineasy9 wrote:

I don't see anything arch specific in the kickstart setup. The option to point to repos would probably rely on the variables like release $releasever and $basearch, so if your using that option I would just check to see if they are set correctly.
    This is coming from someone who has just read up on kickstart, but who has never used it, so, just far warning.

This link may be helpful:
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

Yes, it appeared to me that the section on repos was the same in the kickstart files and dependent on the values of the variables.

However I was not able to figure out when/how the variables are set. So I created a "test" image using the desktop kickstart (unmodified) and monitored the output which looks something like

Retrieving http://linux.mirrors.es.net/fedora/releases/.......

And this shows the correct values for the variables. So i will copy my custom kickstart files over and give it a shot.I will also review the link you provided as it looks informative

Thanks for the reply

• metaylor
    migrating custom kickstart files
    I have been using F12 i686 and the kickstart files in the /usr/share/spins-kickstarts directory to create customized kickstart files for creating liveUSB images. Now I want to create live images for F12 x86_64. It seems to me that I should be able to copy my customized kickstart files from F12 i686 to F12 x86_64 and use them instead of having to create them again in x86_64 Is this correct or am I setting myself up for some issues?
    Link to this post 05 Aug 10

I have been using F12 i686 and the kickstart files in the /usr/share/spins-kickstarts directory to create customized kickstart files for creating liveUSB images.

Now I want to create live images for F12 x86_64.

It seems to me that I should be able to copy my customized kickstart files from F12 i686 to F12 x86_64 and use them instead of having to create them again in x86_64

Is this correct or am I setting myself up for some issues?

• metaylor
    RE: Live USB image does not complete the boot process
    I did boot the USB on system which works and I edited the inittab to boot single user mode. Then I tried it on the system in question and this did not resolve the issue. However, I will still try doing this during the boot process and use init 3 instead of single user. It can't hurt ;) Regarding unetbootin and liveCD allow me to provide some clarification. I am using the livecd-creator program ( which can be installed with yum) to create the ISO file. Then I use Fedora Live USB Creator tool for Windows to burn the ISO file to USB. This process creates a USB which works on 5 of 6 pf my computer systems model. I can try the Fedora Live USB Creator for Linux to burn the ISO file to USB. Regarding SELinux, the reason I downloaded the Live image from Fedora was to see if it exhibited the same issue. If it did (and it does) then to me that says I did not induce this issue during the process of creating the ISO file. So I will do the following Try the Fedora Live USB Creator for Linux to burn the ISO file to USB. Use yum to see if there was an update the the livecd-creator program that I use to create the image.
    Link to this post 18 May 10

I did boot the USB on system which works and I edited the inittab to boot single user mode. Then I tried it on the system in question and this did not resolve the issue. However, I will still try doing this during the boot process and use init 3 instead of single user. It can't hurt ;)

Regarding unetbootin and liveCD allow me to provide some clarification. I am using the livecd-creator program ( which can be installed with yum) to create the ISO file. Then I use Fedora Live USB Creator tool for Windows to burn the ISO file to USB.
    This process creates a USB which works on 5 of 6 pf my computer systems model. I can try the Fedora Live USB Creator for Linux to burn the ISO file to USB.

Regarding SELinux, the reason I downloaded the Live image from Fedora was to see if it exhibited the same issue. If it did (and it does) then to me that says I did not induce this issue during the process of creating the ISO file.

So I will do the following
    Try the Fedora Live USB Creator for Linux to burn the ISO file to USB.
    Use yum to see if there was an update the the livecd-creator program that I use to create the image.

• metaylor
    attachment is too large to upload but basically it is a picture of a blank monitor :(
    Link to this post 15 May 10

attachment is too large to upload but basically it is a picture of a blank monitor :(

• metaylor
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I hit the escape key, there was nothing displayed. Regarding checking /var/log/messages or /var/log/boot.log files, I should clarify that because after the count down has finished, nothing is displayed on the monitor due to the issue at hand I cannot login to check the files -see attachment. Is there a way that I can bypass the live countdown splash screen altogether? I would at least like to see whether the system getting to the startup mode which allows for interactive boot...
    Link to this post 15 May 10

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately when I hit the escape key, there was nothing displayed. Regarding checking /var/log/messages or /var/log/boot.log files, I should clarify that because after the count down has finished, nothing is displayed on the monitor due to the issue at hand I cannot login to check the files -see attachment.

Is there a way that I can bypass the live countdown splash screen altogether? I would at least like to see whether the system getting to the startup mode which allows for interactive boot...

• metaylor
    Live USB image does not complete the boot process
    I use livecd-creator and a custom kickstart file to create F12 liveUSB images. I have created a few images which worked well until a month ago when I made some changes to allow root login and set selinux to permissive mode. Now when I create an image, it does not work as expected in that the Fedora logo screen is not displayed and the Gnome Desktop does not launch on one of the 6 computers. The senario is when I install the USB and turn on the power, the BIOS splash screen is displayed. Additionally, the Fedora count down screen is also displayed. However, after the count down has completed, the screen goes dark with only the cursor displayed. After a few seconds the monitor loses synchronization and the message "No input signal" is displayed and Gnome Desktop does not launch. The liveUSB I previously created still works all 6 computers. This only happens with newer images I create. Also, I download the Fedora live image, burned it to a USB and tried it. It also exibited the issue. In trying to diagnose this, I downloaded F12 and installed it on the computer which exhibits this issue and everything worked fine. It seems to me that there should be a way to determine which (if any) of the boot scripts are executed before the message "No input signal" is displayed. Any ideas?
    Link to this post 13 May 10

I use livecd-creator and a custom kickstart file to create F12 liveUSB images. I have created a few images which worked well until a month ago when I made some changes to allow root login and set selinux to permissive mode.

Now when I create an image, it does not work as expected in that the Fedora logo screen is not displayed and the Gnome Desktop does not launch on one of the 6 computers.

The senario is when I install the USB and turn on the power, the BIOS splash screen is displayed. Additionally, the Fedora count down screen is also displayed. However, after the count down has completed, the screen goes dark with only the cursor displayed. After a few seconds the monitor loses synchronization and the message "No input signal" is displayed and Gnome Desktop does not launch.

The liveUSB I previously created still works all 6 computers. This only happens with newer images I create. Also, I download the Fedora live image, burned it to a USB and tried it. It also exibited the issue.

In trying to diagnose this, I downloaded F12 and installed it on the computer which exhibits this issue and everything worked fine.

It seems to me that there should be a way to determine which (if any) of the boot scripts are executed before the message "No input signal" is displayed.

Any ideas?

• metaylor
    RE: Yum does not work after updates
    Yes, afterwards I realized that I had downloaded the package to a different directory. I should have mentioned that in my last reply.
    Link to this post 11 May 10

Yes, afterwards I realized that I had downloaded the package to a different directory. I should have mentioned that in my last reply.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board