• Last Logged In: 29 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • achillspirit
    Installed Linux 2.2.6 but need help with modem
    Hello All, I have an IBM 600X laptop. I have just recently and successfully installed "Tiny Linux" [Linux kernal 2.2.6] to the computer. I re-booted after installation and found myself at the standard UNIX screen. I can log in but that is about it. I need help. 1. How do I connect to the internet? My computer has a phone jack input on the left hand side. I also believe that there is an internal modem inside. 2. Once I connect with the internet, how do I obtain and install packages related to X Window? Thanks for the time and attention to this matter, Brian Gallagher
    Link to this post 17 Jul 09

Hello All,

I have an IBM 600X laptop. I have just recently and successfully installed "Tiny Linux" [Linux kernal 2.2.6] to the computer. I re-booted after installation and found myself at the standard UNIX screen. I can log in but that is about it. I need help.

1. How do I connect to the internet?

My computer has a phone jack input on the left hand side. I also believe that there is an internal modem inside.

2. Once I connect with the internet, how do I obtain and install packages related to X Window?

Thanks for the time and attention to this matter,

Brian Gallagher

• achillspirit
    Linux-believer in need of help
    Hello All, Here are the facts: 1. I have an IBM Thinkpad 600x laptop. Technical specs are Intel chip 500 MHz and 137 MB RAM. 2. Windows 2000 was recently erased from the computer. The computer has no operating system now. 3. I can not boot from CD-ROM ( unless it is a Windows Install CD ). Although, I can boot from diskette drive. Question I am looking to install a Linux-based OS on this IBM Thinkpad 600x. Currently, the computer has no operating system. Also, the CD-ROM will only boot Windows Install CDs. I have tried to boot other CDs which had ISO images of Ubuntu and Open Solaris but neither would boot up. Right now I know that the computer will turn on and I can access MS-DOS thru an old Windows boot disk. Which Linux-based OS would you recommend for this computer? Which OS systems can still boot from boot diskettes? If so, where would I obtain copies of these boot diskettes? Thanks
    Link to this post 09 Jul 09

Hello All,

Here are the facts:

1. I have an IBM Thinkpad 600x laptop. Technical specs are Intel chip 500 MHz and 137 MB RAM.

2. Windows 2000 was recently erased from the computer. The computer has no operating system now.

3. I can not boot from CD-ROM ( unless it is a Windows Install CD ). Although, I can boot from diskette drive.

Question

I am looking to install a Linux-based OS on this IBM Thinkpad 600x. Currently, the computer has no operating system. Also, the CD-ROM will only boot Windows Install CDs. I have tried to boot other CDs which had ISO images of Ubuntu and Open Solaris but neither would boot up. Right now I know that the computer will turn on and I can access MS-DOS thru an old Windows boot disk.

Which Linux-based OS would you recommend for this computer?

Which OS systems can still boot from boot diskettes?

If so, where would I obtain copies of these boot diskettes?

Thanks

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board