• Last Logged In: 28 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Leftiness
    RE: Choosing a Distribution (Solved)
    Oh... Sorry for not closing this thread. I originally tried Arch, but I had trouble configuring the internet... Wireless router. So, I went to Mint, which was highly recommended by a friend as a good starting point. I'm using it, but I still intend to use Arch... Eventually. Again, this problem is solved. Thanks. :)
    Link to this post 31 Jul 09

Oh...

Sorry for not closing this thread. I originally tried Arch, but I had trouble configuring the internet... Wireless router.

So, I went to Mint, which was highly recommended by a friend as a good starting point. I'm using it, but I still intend to use Arch... Eventually.

Again, this problem is solved. Thanks. :)

• Leftiness
    Choosing a Distribution (Solved)
    I understand that I might be better off getting Ubuntu, or some other easy-to-use distribution, messing with it, and going from there... I feel as though I might have a descriptive enough idea in mind to save myself a few gigabytes while downloading distributions geared at ease-of-use when I know that they are not my goal... I would like to focus on downloading gigabytes while trying out distributions geared towards what I want. ... I want the OS to sit in the background... not hinder me. I have [ul][li]32 bit, 1.2 GHz Processor[/li][li]640 MB ram[/li][/ul] I use my computer for email, internet browsing, school work, and games... I intend to get a better computer that will run better games. Idealistically, I would like a Linux distribution that [ul][li]Boots quickly[/li][li]Uses few system resources[/li][li]Can run Windows-based games... CD games, internet games, and such.[/li][/ul] If I understand emulators like Wine correctly, this is possible? If it is not, I suppose I could dual-boot Windows. I know a decent amount about computers. What I do not know, I can learn... I am not afraid of [ul][li]Getting frustrated while learning[/li][li]Using a command line, if necessary[/li][li]Experimental... stuff, for lack of a better word.[/li][/ul] So, I hopefully do not need to try out a distribution geared at being easy-to-use... I am looking for speed and stability. Thanks for reading this novel of a post. ... Feel free to tell me that I am a stupid kid and that I should just download Ubuntu. I can take it. :)
    Link to this post 24 Jul 09

I understand that I might be better off getting Ubuntu, or some other easy-to-use distribution, messing with it, and going from there...

I feel as though I might have a descriptive enough idea in mind to save myself a few gigabytes while downloading distributions geared at ease-of-use when I know that they are not my goal... I would like to focus on downloading gigabytes while trying out distributions geared towards what I want.

... I want the OS to sit in the background... not hinder me.

I have
    [ul][li]32 bit, 1.2 GHz Processor[/li][li]640 MB ram[/li][/ul]
    I use my computer for email, internet browsing, school work, and games... I intend to get a better computer that will run better games.

Idealistically, I would like a Linux distribution that
    [ul][li]Boots quickly[/li][li]Uses few system resources[/li][li]Can run Windows-based games... CD games, internet games, and such.[/li][/ul]
    If I understand emulators like Wine correctly, this is possible? If it is not, I suppose I could dual-boot Windows.

I know a decent amount about computers. What I do not know, I can learn...

I am not afraid of
    [ul][li]Getting frustrated while learning[/li][li]Using a command line, if necessary[/li][li]Experimental... stuff, for lack of a better word.[/li][/ul]
    So, I hopefully do not need to try out a distribution geared at being easy-to-use... I am looking for speed and stability.

Thanks for reading this novel of a post.

... Feel free to tell me that I am a stupid kid and that I should just download Ubuntu. I can take it. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board