• Last Logged In: 07 Jun 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ford
    RE: Kernel headers
    Header files define structures and constants that are needed to build kernel modules (as well as some other software), as well as recompilation of the Linux kernel itself. There are most likely packages for whatever distribution you are using that will contain the kernel source and headers. apt/zypper/yum search for linux-dev or linux-headers or linux-source.
    Link to this post 08 Jun 10

Header files define structures and constants that are needed to build kernel modules (as well as some other software), as well as recompilation of the Linux kernel itself. There are most likely packages for whatever distribution you are using that will contain the kernel source and headers. apt/zypper/yum search for linux-dev or linux-headers or linux-source.

• ford
    RE: Wireless Driver(s) Not Working
    sudo -s wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2 tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2 cd b43-fwcutter-012 make cd .. export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware" wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta_mimo.o exit then reboot
    Link to this post 17 Mar 10

sudo -s

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    cd b43-fwcutter-012
    make
    cd ..

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
    wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
    sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta_mimo.o

exit

then reboot

• ford
    RE: Looking for something new
    My recommendation is to download Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/). This way you can install Ubuntu Linux as if it were a program, restart the machine and choose Ubuntu from your boot menu. You'll be ready to go. Once you're in your new Linux environment, you'll learn how things are done simply by trying to do something new. As an example, I am only 22. I consider myself something of Linux pro, but this is only due to avid curiosity and having an electrical engineer for a father. He brought older machines home from his college and his work place. Those machines were usually running some form of BSD, but after going on BBSs I heard a lot about Debian and Slackware. I downloaded them, installed them, and from about 7 on, I was using Linux. As I wanted my machine to do something new, I would look through tons of information online and learn how to do it. With your new Linux system, you could serve a website, make 3d films of photos, build your own OS, almost anything. Have fun.
    Link to this post 19 Jan 10

My recommendation is to download Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/). This way you can install Ubuntu Linux as if it were a program, restart the machine and choose Ubuntu from your boot menu. You'll be ready to go. Once you're in your new Linux environment, you'll learn how things are done simply by trying to do something new.

As an example, I am only 22. I consider myself something of Linux pro, but this is only due to avid curiosity and having an electrical engineer for a father. He brought older machines home from his college and his work place. Those machines were usually running some form of BSD, but after going on BBSs I heard a lot about Debian and Slackware. I downloaded them, installed them, and from about 7 on, I was using Linux. As I wanted my machine to do something new, I would look through tons of information online and learn how to do it. With your new Linux system, you could serve a website, make 3d films of photos, build your own OS, almost anything. Have fun.

• ford
    RE: use command line to chat
    I've used centerim(centericq), cabber, bsflite, irssi, and naim. All were good programs.
    Link to this post 18 Jan 10

I've used centerim(centericq), cabber, bsflite, irssi, and naim. All were good programs.

• ford
    RE: iTunes and Linux
    Personally, RhythmBox worked alright for me, but Exaile and Amarok are good alternatives. You can also look into RockBox for your iPod, and gtkpod can interface with both a normal iPod and a RockBoxed iPod.

Personally, RhythmBox worked alright for me, but Exaile and Amarok are good alternatives. You can also look into RockBox for your iPod, and gtkpod can interface with both a normal iPod and a RockBoxed iPod.

• ford
    RE: best distro for me??
    If by learning, you mean you wish to know how linux's innards are fit together, and how they work together, then I highly recommend Linux From Scratch. It is easiest to build a Linux from Scratch system from another distribution, and for a beginner I would recommend building from Ubuntu. During installation of Ubuntu, you need to make sure to leave an empty partition for your build. If you have any problems setting everything up, you can always come back here, and I am sure that myself and others would have no objection to helping you. =)

If by learning, you mean you wish to know how linux's innards are fit together, and how they work together, then I highly recommend Linux From Scratch. It is easiest to build a Linux from Scratch system from another distribution, and for a beginner I would recommend building from Ubuntu. During installation of Ubuntu, you need to make sure to leave an empty partition for your build. If you have any problems setting everything up, you can always come back here, and I am sure that myself and others would have no objection to helping you.

=)

• ford
    RE: Total Newbie here
    I am unfamiliar with the game you mentioned, but I would highly recommend looking into Cedega or Wine if you are a gamer. As previously mentioned yum will help you with software installation most of the time. Especially with common applications such as Mozilla. Wine and Cedega will allow you to install some Win32 software, which I think is what you are mentioning with gaming. IRC is a common chat protocol for most Linux users, and chatzilla is available as a Firefox plugin if you are unfamiliar with IRC clients, I recommend it. From there, simply open ChatZilla, look for a link in the default chatzilla window, click Freenode. Then in the bar at the bottom of the Chatzilla window type "/join #fedora" without quotes. People there would be able to help you step by step with many common tasks.
    Link to this post 18 Sep 09

I am unfamiliar with the game you mentioned, but I would highly recommend looking into Cedega or Wine if you are a gamer. As previously mentioned yum will help you with software installation most of the time. Especially with common applications such as Mozilla.

Wine and Cedega will allow you to install some Win32 software, which I think is what you are mentioning with gaming.

IRC is a common chat protocol for most Linux users, and chatzilla is available as a Firefox plugin if you are unfamiliar with IRC clients, I recommend it. From there, simply open ChatZilla, look for a link in the default chatzilla window, click Freenode. Then in the bar at the bottom of the Chatzilla window type "/join #fedora" without quotes.

People there would be able to help you step by step with many common tasks.

• ford
    RE: linux have to get a standard version
    Having multiple versions of Linux is also just plain useful. If I am on a mobile device, I don't want to run openSUSE. In that case I would want something like Eeebuntu or Moblin. If I am on a server, I may want Scientific, CentOS, or RHEL. If I am on a workstation I may want openSUSE or Slackware. On a desktop I may want Mandriva, Ubuntu, PC Linux OS or Fedora. Each distribution is good for something in particular. Having multiple distributions also adds to security for all of the distributions. A flaw in one may not be a flaw in all. Plus, there is inter-agency competition that makes everyone work a little harder ;-)
    Link to this post 18 Sep 09

Having multiple versions of Linux is also just plain useful. If I am on a mobile device, I don't want to run openSUSE. In that case I would want something like Eeebuntu or Moblin. If I am on a server, I may want Scientific, CentOS, or RHEL. If I am on a workstation I may want openSUSE or Slackware. On a desktop I may want Mandriva, Ubuntu, PC Linux OS or Fedora. Each distribution is good for something in particular. Having multiple distributions also adds to security for all of the distributions. A flaw in one may not be a flaw in all. Plus, there is inter-agency competition that makes everyone work a little harder ;-)

• ford
    RE: Ex-Vista Noob Needs Help
    'sudo apt-get install build-essential' on *buntu this will install gcc for you. personally I prefer geany as my IDE but many people enjoy emacs, vim, netbeans, or kdevelop. as you continue you will find what's right for you, no doubt.
    Link to this post 10 Sep 09

'sudo apt-get install build-essential'

on *buntu this will install gcc for you. personally I prefer geany as my IDE but many people enjoy emacs, vim, netbeans, or kdevelop. as you continue you will find what's right for you, no doubt.

• ford
    RE: Ex-Vista Noob Needs Help
    I have used SystemRescueCD in similar cases. It has an NT Password retrieval tool on the disc that comes in handy, and it can also just blank the password and let you back into your system. Otherwise, Ubuntu will resize your windows partition(s) and make space for itself during the install procedure. You will still be able to access your windows system (after you sort out the password problem). I wish you luck. I use Macintosh, Linux, and Windows (BSD and Minix as well but mostly as toys), when each is needed. Windows and Linux are perhaps as different as operating systems can get, and I know that the transition can be insanely difficult. There are several different blogs that have posted migration tips that you may find handy. A quick google search would be useful.
    Link to this post 08 Sep 09

I have used SystemRescueCD in similar cases. It has an NT Password retrieval tool on the disc that comes in handy, and it can also just blank the password and let you back into your system. Otherwise, Ubuntu will resize your windows partition(s) and make space for itself during the install procedure. You will still be able to access your windows system (after you sort out the password problem).

I wish you luck. I use Macintosh, Linux, and Windows (BSD and Minix as well but mostly as toys), when each is needed. Windows and Linux are perhaps as different as operating systems can get, and I know that the transition can be insanely difficult. There are several different blogs that have posted migration tips that you may find handy. A quick google search would be useful.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board