• Last Logged In: 22 Aug 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Ruthy
    RE: My screen has shrunk
    The one thing left now is a small box in the top left hand corner which has “Laptop 16'” written in it. So just wondering how to get rid of it. As I don't think I want to be boasting about my 16 incher.
    Link to this post 22 Aug 09

The one thing left now is a small box in the top left hand corner which has “Laptop 16'” written in it. So just wondering how to get rid of it. As I don't think I want to be boasting about my 16 incher.

• Ruthy
    Hi Clark I changed the resolution to the highest one available and it worked thank you so much for taking the time to answer my simple question. I noticed that the simpler questions get brushed aside in these forums, and it makes learning a much slower progress especially when you can't find answers though google.
    Link to this post 22 Aug 09

Hi Clark

I changed the resolution to the highest one available and it worked
    thank you so much for taking the time to answer my simple question.
    I noticed that the simpler questions get brushed aside in these forums, and it makes learning a much slower progress especially when you can't find answers though google.

• Ruthy
    Hi what I meant was instead of the display (desktop) reaching both sides of the screen its smaller and centered. And I cant seems to stretch the display out to fit the screen.
    Link to this post 20 Aug 09

Hi
    what I meant was instead of the display (desktop) reaching both sides of the screen its smaller and centered. And I cant seems to stretch the display out to fit the screen.

• Ruthy
    My screen has shrunk
    for some reason my screen has gone and shrunk and when I go to display and click on mirror screen it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Link to this post 20 Aug 09

for some reason my screen has gone and shrunk and when I go to display and click on mirror screen it doesn't seem to do anything.

• Ruthy
    My first problems
    I keep getting a message to unlock key ring manager or something like that when I first start the computer. And if I type in the password I still get it over and over again, and if I click on cancel it still comes up several times. Another thing is that I get asked for a password for the wireless internet every time I log on and I'd really like to get rid of that. And finally for some reason my screen has gone and shrunk and when I go to display and click on mirror screen it doesn't seem to do anything. PS i'm using Mint
    Link to this post 19 Aug 09

I keep getting a message to unlock key ring manager or something like that when I first start the computer. And if I type in the password I still get it over and over again, and if I click on cancel it still comes up several times.

Another thing is that I get asked for a password for the wireless internet every time I log on and I'd really like to get rid of that.

And finally for some reason my screen has gone and shrunk and when I go to display and click on mirror screen it doesn't seem to do anything.

PS i'm using Mint

• Ruthy
    Getting everything sorted before installing Linux
    I'm wanting to install Linux Mint as I hear that this is the easiest to use. I mainly use the computer for the internet, downloading and playing film and music. The main thing I'm looking for in a distro is just to be able to switch on the computer and for the operating system to do everything for you. I was told that its best to use gparted to partition the hard drive. Is this the best way to go about it? also the situation is that I need to reinstall vista as for some random reason its stopped updating. Is it best to do this before I start putting in a new partition? I'd prefer not to loose all my programs so just wondering if its possible to create a backup with the current situation. Finally how would I go about downloading mint? Is it the case that I download it to a CD. I looked on the mint site, but I got the impression that it downloads direct to your hard drive. Hope this isn't to many questions, its just this stuff really makes my head spin.
    Link to this post 15 Aug 09

I'm wanting to install Linux Mint as I hear that this is the easiest to use. I mainly use the computer for the internet, downloading and playing film and music. The main thing I'm looking for in a distro is just to be able to switch on the computer and for the operating system to do everything for you.

I was told that its best to use gparted to partition the hard drive. Is this the best way to go about it?

also the situation is that I need to reinstall vista as for some random reason its stopped updating. Is it best to do this before I start putting in a new partition? I'd prefer not to loose all my programs so just wondering if its possible to create a backup with the current situation.

Finally how would I go about downloading mint? Is it the case that I download it to a CD. I looked on the mint site, but I got the impression that it downloads direct to your hard drive.

Hope this isn't to many questions, its just this stuff really makes my head spin.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board