• Last Logged In: 23 Feb 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • czar960
    RE: Java update error on Linux Mint
    Hi again. I decided to try going right to the Java site and use install using their method instead of using the Mint install I did like they said and it installed (or it said it installed) but if I use the "see if you have the latest java" thingy and it says mine is out of date. Although now the Mint Update utility shows my computer as up to date and that there are no updates needed. So I guess it works. I don't really know what is Java type stuff on the Internet but I don't see any big blank spaces or parts of sites that seem to be missing. I installed the Java as the root user..was that the right thing to do? thanks, Eric
    Link to this post 16 Jul 10

Hi again.
    I decided to try going right to the Java site and use install using their method instead of using the Mint install
    I did like they said and it installed (or it said it installed) but if I use the "see if you have the latest java" thingy and it says mine is out of date.
    Although now the Mint Update utility shows my computer as up to date and that there are no updates needed.
    So I guess it works. I don't really know what is Java type stuff on the Internet but I don't see any big blank spaces or parts of sites that seem to be missing.

I installed the Java as the root user..was that the right thing to do?

thanks,
    Eric

• czar960
    Java update error on Linux Mint
    Hello, all. I am having trouble trying to install an update on Linux Mint The update is for Java. The error is: E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.04_amd64.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1 E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.04_all.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1 I was having some other problems before and had stopped using the Linux side because the audio had stopped working and then the update utility stopped working. Somehow they both started working when I went to try and start Linux for the first time in months I don't know if it is needed but I will give you some more info. PC is an HP-112y, 64 bit, Linux is the 64 bit version of Linux Mint Let me know if you need any more info. thanks, Eric
    Link to this post 16 Jul 10

Hello, all.
    I am having trouble trying to install an update on Linux Mint
    The update is for Java. The error is:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.04_amd64.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.04_all.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

I was having some other problems before and had stopped using the Linux side because the audio had stopped working and then the update utility stopped working. Somehow they both started working when I went to try and start Linux for the first time in months

I don't know if it is needed but I will give you some more info.

PC is an HP-112y, 64 bit,
    Linux is the 64 bit version of Linux Mint

Let me know if you need any more info.
    thanks,
    Eric

• czar960
    RE: give it another go
    I think these are all Primary partitions The only thing I did to the disk was use the shrink utility in Windows to get the unallocated space Currently the disk looks like this. *system disk 100 MB (this is the partition table) C: HP 500 GB (Windows 7 x64 OS) D: Factory Image 12 GB (System Recovery) unallocated 450 GB The only way I know how to set it up is with Windows 7 taking up one partition and Linux taking up 3 partitions ("Swap", / (root), /home). This partitioning stuff is all new to me as well as Linux. And the way the Linux installers have worked (I have tried several) are forcing me to set this up manually. So, as I see it, I either need a way to add MBR slots (I have no idea if that is even possible), or a way to set up Linux taking up 2 partitions. (swap and the OS and home directories) I expect to use about 50 GB for Linux so I guess I'll convert the rest of the unallocated disk to Windows.I don't need D; I have backup disks. This is an HP Pavilion HPE-112y, Windows7 64 bit. AMD 64 Phenom (if it matters) So, there you have it. any help is appreciated.
    Link to this post 06 Feb 10

I think these are all Primary partitions
    The only thing I did to the disk was use the shrink utility in Windows to get the unallocated space

Currently the disk looks like this.

*system disk 100 MB (this is the partition table)
    C: HP 500 GB (Windows 7 x64 OS)
    D: Factory Image 12 GB (System Recovery)
    unallocated 450 GB

The only way I know how to set it up is with Windows 7 taking up one partition and Linux taking up 3 partitions ("Swap", / (root), /home).
    This partitioning stuff is all new to me as well as Linux. And the way the Linux installers have worked (I have tried several) are forcing me to set this up manually.
    So, as I see it, I either need a way to add MBR slots (I have no idea if that is even possible), or a way to set up Linux taking up 2 partitions. (swap and the OS and home directories)

I expect to use about 50 GB for Linux so I guess I'll convert the rest of the unallocated disk to Windows.I don't need D; I have backup disks.
    This is an HP Pavilion HPE-112y, Windows7 64 bit. AMD 64 Phenom (if it matters)

So, there you have it. any help is appreciated.

• czar960
    I would hate to give up on this after all this time but I am getting there. The Xubutnu install disk would only let me create on partition. So I thought I would try and create the partitions on Windows and then format with the disk. But after I added one partition in Windows Partition Wizard said "cannot create. No free MBR slots on the disk. So what do i do? Can I change the number of MBR slots (Master boot record) on the PC? Can I install in one partition? What about swap space? ...little help here please... thanks, eric
    Link to this post 05 Feb 10

I would hate to give up on this after all this time but I am getting there.

The Xubutnu install disk would only let me create on partition. So I thought I would try and create the partitions on Windows and then format with the disk. But after I added one partition in Windows Partition Wizard said "cannot create. No free MBR slots on the disk.
    So what do i do?
    Can I change the number of MBR slots (Master boot record) on the PC?
    Can I install in one partition?
    What about swap space?

...little help here please...

thanks,
    eric

• czar960
    I wouldn't miind buying an install CD if I KNEW it was going to work. What I need to find out is: is the installer for Xubuntu (HH) the same as the installer for (KK) - I don't remember the names just the intials. Just to be clear....Xubuntu (KK) installer failed at the disk partitioning of the install (No way to go forward) by the way....the disk partitioner would not show ANYTHING... no other OS. nothing...all buttons grayed out Linux Mint 7.0 tested as far as the disk partioning part of the install and was "Okay" to that point. I want to install Xubuntu (HH) but don't know if the disk poartitioning will work Is it possible that Xubuntu failed at the disk partitioner for a different reason? This is a Windows 7 PC with AMD 64 Phenom processor. thanks, eric
    Link to this post 03 Feb 10

I wouldn't miind buying an install CD if I KNEW it was going to work.
    What I need to find out is: is the installer for Xubuntu (HH) the same as the installer for (KK) - I don't remember the names just the intials.

Just to be clear....Xubuntu (KK) installer failed at the disk partitioning of the install (No way to go forward) by the way....the disk partitioner would not show ANYTHING... no other OS. nothing...all buttons grayed out
    Linux Mint 7.0 tested as far as the disk partioning part of the install and was "Okay" to that point.
    I want to install Xubuntu (HH) but don't know if the disk poartitioning will work

Is it possible that Xubuntu failed at the disk partitioner for a different reason?
    This is a Windows 7 PC with AMD 64 Phenom processor.

thanks,
    eric

• czar960
    thanks for the reply. Latest.....after burning the install files in the correct format tried to instal Xubuntu 9.10. For some reason the partitioner in that install program will not work on this PC. I verified this by running the install of Linux Mint 7.0 and it works and I could install Mint if I continued. I think I want to go with the Xubuntu (Hardy heron) but need another way to install it. What other options do I have? thanks, Eric
    Link to this post 02 Feb 10

thanks for the reply.
    Latest.....after burning the install files in the correct format tried to instal Xubuntu 9.10.
    For some reason the partitioner in that install program will not work on this PC.
    I verified this by running the install of Linux Mint 7.0 and it works and I could install Mint if I continued.

I think I want to go with the Xubuntu (Hardy heron) but need another way to install it.

What other options do I have?

thanks,
    Eric

• czar960
    So is the Karmic Koala (oh brother...) not a good idea? it is the newest and what I burned to disk ...finally. My own fault I guess. should I go with Hardy Heron?.... thanks! eric

So is the Karmic Koala (oh brother...) not a good idea? it is the newest and what I burned to disk ...finally. My own fault I guess.

should I go with Hardy Heron?....

thanks!
    eric

• czar960
    okay...the Xubuntu disk did not work. The PC will not run the disk at startup. The Linux Mint disk that I know works on the old laptop has an .exe file in first directory on the disk. If I look at these the Xubuntu or whatever they are all .iso files. One huge file. Not several files and a .exe file. So should I be using a different application to burn these files to disk? Is a .iso file supposed to do the same thing as a .exe file when found on a disk at startup? Or is there another way to download the installation files to have have it run at startup? ...thanks, eric

okay...the Xubuntu disk did not work. The PC will not run the disk at startup.
    The Linux Mint disk that I know works on the old laptop has an .exe file in first directory on the disk.

If I look at these the Xubuntu or whatever they are all .iso files. One huge file. Not several files and a .exe file.

So should I be using a different application to burn these files to disk? Is a .iso file supposed to do the same thing as a .exe file when found on a disk at startup?

Or is there another way to download the installation files to have have it run at startup?

...thanks,
    eric

• czar960
    Thanks again Robin. This is exactly the kind of feedback I needed. After another failed install attempt I decided to go back to my old Mint CD 7 (Gloria) and give it a try on the older laptop first (windows XP amd Turion x64). It installed just fine and but I had to weed through the 200 or so updates to make no changes to the audio. (Pulse audio and GStreaming) And it is working fine. I was think about trying it on the new PC but maybe your Xubuntu would work better....downloading as I type...So I will let you all know how it turns out. I really wish this stuff was easier to grasp. You start talking about Jaucky Jacalope and it makes no sense. Maybe something like an organizational chart would help folks understand the different components of Linux and all of it's iterations. And of course there are only 50 or so kinds just on this site alone. For all of the hue and cry about Microsoft and all I think giving people an option over Windows is great. Even though it is free people are not going to even try Linux if they can't understand it. thanks, e

Thanks again Robin. This is exactly the kind of feedback I needed.
    After another failed install attempt I decided to go back to my old Mint CD 7 (Gloria) and give it a try on the older laptop first (windows XP amd Turion x64). It installed just fine and but I had to weed through the 200 or so updates to make no changes to the audio. (Pulse audio and GStreaming) And it is working fine. I was think about trying it on the new PC but maybe your Xubuntu would work better....downloading as I type...So I will let you all know how it turns out.

I really wish this stuff was easier to grasp. You start talking about Jaucky Jacalope and it makes no sense. Maybe something like an organizational chart would help folks understand the different components of Linux and all of it's iterations.
    And of course there are only 50 or so kinds just on this site alone.
    For all of the hue and cry about Microsoft and all I think giving people an option over Windows is great.
    Even though it is free people are not going to even try Linux if they can't understand it.

thanks,
    e

• czar960
    I would have to run through the install again to get you the exact error message. If a message like that sounds VERY unusual to you then I am going to chalk it up to [i]another [/i]installer problem. I do have a disk of Ubuntu with the alternate installer that I am going to give a try.... ....this is getting redundant. But hey...this is how we learn huh? I have a better understanding of the installations and how the disk should be set up now :) I want to get this working. I really liked the Linux Mint when it was running. The only reason I uninstalled it was because the audio stopped working and I could not fix it. thanks, eric
    Link to this post 01 Feb 10

I would have to run through the install again to get you the exact error message.

If a message like that sounds VERY unusual to you then I am going to chalk it up to another installer problem.

I do have a disk of Ubuntu with the alternate installer that I am going to give a try....
    ....this is getting redundant. But hey...this is how we learn huh?
    I have a better understanding of the installations and how the disk should be set up now :)

I want to get this working. I really liked the Linux Mint when it was running. The only reason I uninstalled it was because the audio stopped working and I could not fix it.

thanks,
    eric

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board