• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 28 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jim.hitch
    RE: Can't change brightness on Acer 4810t (8.04)
    Hi I haven't had a chance to do an exhaustive test of all of the following, but thought it might be useful to give you the list of files on my system containing the term 'brightness' file:///etc/acpi/events/asus-brightness-down file:///etc/acpi/events/asus-brightness-up file:///etc/acpi/events/panasonic-brightness-down file:///etc/acpi/events/panasonic-brightness-up file:///etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down file:///etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up file:///etc/acpi/events/thinkpad-brightness-down file:///etc/acpi/events/thinkpad-brightness-up file:///etc/acpi/events/tosh-brightness-down file:///etc/acpi/events/tosh-brightness-up file:///etc/acpi/events/video_brightnessdown file:///etc/acpi/events/video_brightnessup file:///etc/acpi/resume.d/50-tosh-restore-brightness.sh file:///etc/acpi/suspend.d/50-tosh-save-brightness.sh file:///etc/acpi/thinkpad-brightness-down.sh file:///etc/acpi/thinkpad-brightness-up.sh file:///etc/acpi/video_brightnessdown.sh file:///etc/acpi/video_brightnessup.sh file:///proc/acpi/acer/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD04/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD05/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/CRT/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/HDV0/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/TV/brightness file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:assoc/brightness file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:radio/brightness file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:RX/brightness file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:TX/brightness file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/actual_brightness file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/max_brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/actual_brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/brightness file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/max_brightness file:///sys/module/acer_acpi/parameters/brightness file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/hal-system-lcd-set-brightness file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-linux file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-lcd-set-brightness-linux file:///usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-dell-laptop-brightness.fdi Jim
    Link to this post 30 Aug 09

Hi

I haven't had a chance to do an exhaustive test of all of the following, but thought it might be useful to give you the list of files on my system containing the term 'brightness'

file:///etc/acpi/events/asus-brightness-down
    file:///etc/acpi/events/asus-brightness-up
    file:///etc/acpi/events/panasonic-brightness-down
    file:///etc/acpi/events/panasonic-brightness-up
    file:///etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down
    file:///etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up
    file:///etc/acpi/events/thinkpad-brightness-down
    file:///etc/acpi/events/thinkpad-brightness-up
    file:///etc/acpi/events/tosh-brightness-down
    file:///etc/acpi/events/tosh-brightness-up
    file:///etc/acpi/events/video_brightnessdown
    file:///etc/acpi/events/video_brightnessup
    file:///etc/acpi/resume.d/50-tosh-restore-brightness.sh
    file:///etc/acpi/suspend.d/50-tosh-save-brightness.sh
    file:///etc/acpi/thinkpad-brightness-down.sh
    file:///etc/acpi/thinkpad-brightness-up.sh
    file:///etc/acpi/video_brightnessdown.sh
    file:///etc/acpi/video_brightnessup.sh
    file:///proc/acpi/acer/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD04/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD05/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/CRT/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/HDV0/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    file:///proc/acpi/video/VGA/TV/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:assoc/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:radio/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:RX/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:TX/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/actual_brightness
    file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/platform/acer_acpi/backlight/acer_acpi/max_brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/actual_brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/brightness
    file:///sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video1/max_brightness
    file:///sys/module/acer_acpi/parameters/brightness
    file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness
    file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/hal-system-lcd-set-brightness
    file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-linux
    file:///usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-lcd-set-brightness-linux
    file:///usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-dell-laptop-brightness.fdi

Jim

• jim.hitch
    Hi Not very good with the Command Line, me. I thought that you'd solved it, but I'm afraid it made no difference. I've tried with the different 'brightness' files that I have found and simply get 'Permission Denied' even when I try it as root. Here's a copy: [code] ~$ cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness levels: 100 80 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 current: 100 ~$ echo 40>/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness bash: /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness: Permission denied ~$ sudo echo 40>/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness bash: /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness: Permission denied[/code] However, I can use the function keys on the keyboard to change this value (above), though it has no effect on the actual screen brightness. [code]~$ cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness 9 ~$ echo 4>/sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness bash: /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness: Permission denied ~$ sudo echo 4>/sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness bash: /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness: Permission denied[/code] And finally... [code]~$ cat /proc/acpi/acer/brightness 6 ~$ echo 2>/proc/acpi/acer/brightness bash: /proc/acpi/acer/brightness: Permission denied ~$ sudo echo 2>/proc/acpi/acer/brightness bash: /proc/acpi/acer/brightness: Permission denied[/code] :( Jim
    Link to this post 28 Aug 09

Hi

Not very good with the Command Line, me.

I thought that you'd solved it, but I'm afraid it made no difference. I've tried with the different 'brightness' files that I have found and simply get 'Permission Denied' even when I try it as root. Here's a copy:

~$ cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    levels: 100 80 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
    current: 100
    ~$ echo 40>/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    bash: /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness: Permission denied
    ~$ sudo echo 40>/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    bash: /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness: Permission denied

However, I can use the function keys on the keyboard to change this value (above), though it has no effect on the actual screen brightness.

~$ cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness
    ~$ echo 4>/sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness
    bash: /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness: Permission denied
    ~$ sudo echo 4>/sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness
    bash: /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness: Permission denied

And finally...

~$ cat /proc/acpi/acer/brightness
    ~$ echo 2>/proc/acpi/acer/brightness
    bash: /proc/acpi/acer/brightness: Permission denied
    ~$ sudo echo 2>/proc/acpi/acer/brightness
    bash: /proc/acpi/acer/brightness: Permission denied

:(

Jim

• jim.hitch
    Thanks for getting back to me I try this sudo echo 7 /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness which, after giving the password, gives me 7 /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness But then, if I check with cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness the answer still comes back as 9

Thanks for getting back to me

I try this

sudo echo 7 /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness

which, after giving the password, gives me

7 /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness

But then, if I check with

cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness

the answer still comes back as

• jim.hitch
    Can't change brightness on Acer 4810t (8.04)
    Hi 8.04 all working nice and stable on my new Acer 4810t dual core, but still with some outstanding issues. I haven't found a way to get the brightness to change at all, am wondering if anyone can help. Looking around the brightness control could be here: /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness and if I try [code]cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness[/code] I get something like [code]~$ cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness levels: 100 80 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 current: 70[/code] which I've just noticed is controlled by the hotkeys. Unfortunately it has no effect on the brightness. Using the echo command has no effect on it. There is also /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness and if I try [code]cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness[/code] I get [code]9[/code] but echo changes nothing. There is also /proc/acpi/acer/brightness and if I try [code]cat /proc/acpi/acer/brightness[/code] I get [code]8[/code] but the echo command makes no difference. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Jim

Hi

8.04 all working nice and stable on my new Acer 4810t dual core, but still with some outstanding issues.

I haven't found a way to get the brightness to change at all, am wondering if anyone can help.

Looking around the brightness control could be here:

/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

and if I try

cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

I get something like

~$ cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    levels: 100 80 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
    current: 70

which I've just noticed is controlled by the hotkeys. Unfortunately it has no effect on the brightness. Using the echo command has no effect on it.

There is also

/sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness

and if I try

cat /sys/class/backlight/acer_acpi/brightness

I get

but echo changes nothing.

There is also

/proc/acpi/acer/brightness

and if I try

cat /proc/acpi/acer/brightness

I get

but the echo command makes no difference.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Jim

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board