• Last Logged In: 27 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • sthomper
    out of the box linux supported laptop/netbook
    OTHER THAN a ASUS/UBUNTU combo linux newbie and not trying or wanting to be an expert i currently have an hp pavillion POC (piece of crap) that i couldnt get a wireless broadcom 802.11 g card to work with a suse/novell 10 distro. i read internet claims about some utility called ndiswrapper and tried it. it seemed to be a ridiculous amount of command line tweaking and crap and didnt work. i doubt it was ligitmate. imo, it shouldnt be that difficult to get a global wireless standard to work with s globally used operating system. are there any out of the box netbooks/laptops currently operating that are fully supported by a linux distribution? i plan to ditch the hp pavillion i have now i dont want asus or ubuntu. i have my reasons. iow, what netbooks/laptops w/wireless are fully supported by the current kernel? if any? not some high priced custom - approx 400 bucks any help appreciated thanks
    Link to this post 31 Aug 09

OTHER THAN a ASUS/UBUNTU combo

linux newbie and not trying or wanting to be an expert

i currently have an hp pavillion POC (piece of crap) that i couldnt get a wireless broadcom 802.11 g card to work with a suse/novell 10 distro.
    i read internet claims about some utility called ndiswrapper and tried it. it seemed to be a ridiculous amount of command line tweaking and crap and didnt work. i doubt it was ligitmate.

imo, it shouldnt be that difficult to get a global wireless standard to work with s globally used operating system.

are there any out of the box netbooks/laptops currently operating that are fully supported by a linux distribution?
    i plan to ditch the hp pavillion i have now
    i dont want asus or ubuntu.
    i have my reasons.

iow, what netbooks/laptops w/wireless are fully supported by the current kernel? if any?

not some high priced custom - approx 400 bucks

any help appreciated

thanks

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board