Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Productivity LaTeX - Why and for what?

LaTeX - Why and for what?

Link to this post 13 Jul 09

A few months ago, I read a bit about LaTeX and TeX in generall. I found it pretty handy, especially the fact that I could create PDFs without using any other programm than a text-editor. No Office and stuff required. Im currently using LaTeX for Documentations for my Customers.
Who else uses LaTeX? And what for?

Link to this post 13 Jul 09

i have never tried it b4 .... em sure going to try it now

Link to this post 06 Nov 09

LaTeX is heavily used for writing texts with lots of math formulas. Absolutely all modern articles in mathematics (I'm not quite sure about physics) are written in LaTeX only. It is a well-established standard.

I've been using tex for years now
When I have the choice I prefer to use plain tex (instead of latex).
It's true that at first it was used mostly for writing math articles/books
but it's no longer true.
Physicists, chemists, linguists, or anybody that just wants nicely
formatted pages ...
you can typeset anything with it (including music scores, ...).

I wrote bofh of my MSc and PhD theis in LaTeX (as well some scientific paper) and many presentation, however, it's not so popular among chemists.

I also have my CV written in LaTeX. It's nice because gives special and fresh look and feel.

http://wawrzek.name/CV/cv.pdf

Link to this post 22 Feb 10

I've been using Latex for 4 years now. In the beginning I was "forced" by my professors in university, but I'm very very happy that they did so :laugh:

Now I write anything in Latex, whenever I need to write a paper / article / manual / anything-else I do it in Latex.

After one writes his own templates and gets the "themes" he likes, I can guarantee that nobody will go back.
It gives a very professional look and after you get used to it, it's not harder than writing normal text.

Don't forget to use an appropriate editor; macros are a must have, they just push up productivity by orders of magnitude

thecec

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board