Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Productivity Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?

Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?

Link to this post 15 Jan 12

Subject: Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?
Greetings,

I found a SATA to CF adapter

I know that CFs wear out more quickly, so this brings me to my question. How would it be possible to setup Linux (like Mint) properly on a CF card for minimal wear and tear? In my mind, I'm kind of thinking of it like a Live CD on the CF card -- but configured with programs I want and particular system settings of my preferences -- how do I do that?

Use something like Unetbootin to install the image on a CF or other flash device. It will create a live image for you. For Ubuntu (and possibly clones like Mint) you can also allocate some of the space for read/write access (user data). Check out www.untebootin.net.

But how to I configure it with certain applications and settings that I want, and then lock it down as a Live CD so that it stays persistent and cannot be changed without "unlocking" it or something?

In this case, you will need to install it on the CF device directly, and then make it read-only. In that situation, it will be a full Linux installation - not just a Live CD/DVD/USB device.

How would I go about making it read-only?

Configure the mount options as read only

Regards

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board