Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Slackware Bootable partition FAT or NTFS in Slackware Linux

Bootable partition FAT or NTFS in Slackware Linux

Link to this post 20 Dec 11

I want install Slackware Linux to alternative file system bootable FAT or NTFS. I know this system run slowly nevertheless to insall in this partitions because another operating systems "see" files. Mac OS and Microsoft DOS & Windows "don't see" partition ext's. How step by step install FAT (FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT 32) or NTFS file system in Slackware. In particular full installation in FAT32 or NTFS

I doubt any installer supports NTFS but the FAT should work. Just format the partitions with FAT instead of ext3/ext4/reiser/whatever you use and proceed with a normal installation

Regards

OK. How to doing during instalation?

Well, I haven't ever installed Slackware but it should give you the option to manually partition and format hard disks. Look in there :)

Regards

Yes, I read in internet about UMSDOS & NTFS-3G. What it is UMSDOS & NTFS-3G and with what differ to FAT & NTFS. I'm sorry that I ask, because I beginner person and no have experience to Slackware Linux.

Link to this post 21 Dec 11

Are you just trying to create a partition that you can share between your Slackware install and windows? In that case just make a partition with fdisk and use the mkfs.ntfs command to format it. You can do this in the prompt you're logged into when you start a Slack install.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board