Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Slackware Command malfunction In slackware ?

Command malfunction In slackware ?

Link to this post 20 May 11

Hai,
Am using Slackware/Fedora. And in office am using SUSE. In fedora,SUSE, if I give "shutdown -P now" [as root] means the machines are doing shutdown from Xserver as well as from Multi user mode[CLI].

But in Slackware, if I give the same command from Multi user or from Xserver mode, it is giving me the log in prompt, not doing shutdown.

I dont think so, the commands functionality will differ with distros.

And in Slackware , if I press the power button from Xserver, its shutting down, but from Multi user mode, its not sensing the button press.
So, I am switching to Xserver to do proper shutdown.[Since the command, "shutdown -P now" is not working]

So, how can I do proper shutdown from Slackware Multi user mode.

Halt or poweroff

Anyway... you can be in "multi-user" mode and be in X at the same time. That's not related in any way.

Regards

marc wrote:

Halt or poweroff

thank you marc :-)

Anyway... you can be in "multi-user" mode and be in X at the same time. That's not related in any way.

thats ok. The thing is, why the linux command is not working ? I cant able to figure out.
Regards

well actually I expected more answers...can any one tell the reason for the command behavior ?

"shutdown -P halt" in both runlevels 3 and 4 is just pushing me to init 1 (single user mode).

After reviewing the source for the shutdown program I found that it is written to change the system to runlevel1 and not halt the system. If you wish to actually shutdown the system you can use "shutdown -h now" or poweroff.

mfillpot wrote:

"shutdown -P halt" in both runlevels 3 and 4 is just pushing me to init 1 (single user mode).

After reviewing the source for the shutdown program I found that it is written to change the system to runlevel1 and not halt the system. If you wish to actually shutdown the system you can use "shutdown -h now" or poweroff.

but matt, why they changed the command's way of working too?. It is supposed to be common with all distro, right ?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board