Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Slackware Facing problem when logging in as "root"

Facing problem when logging in as "root"

Link to this post 28 Jun 11

Hai,
In slackware, even if I login as "root", the commands like "lsusb","ppp-go","startx" are not responding. If I give "su" then again tried with same commands means, its working.
Am facing this problem recently [ last one week]. Previously, it was straight away worked if I logged in as root. The things happening now are,

root#lsusb
<nothing is coming. same for ppp-go and startx>
root#su
root#lsusb
<it is listing the usb stuffs>

Link to this post 28 Jun 11

linustorvalds wrote:

Hai,
In slackware, even if I login as "root", the commands like "lsusb","ppp-go","startx" are not responding. If I give "su" then again tried with same commands means, its working.
Am facing this problem recently [ last one week]. Previously, it was straight away worked if I logged in as root. The things happening now are,

root#lsusb
<nothing is coming. same for ppp-go and startx>
root#su
root#lsusb
<it is listing the usb stuffs>

What does "nothing is coming" mean? is it frozen? it just ends with no output?

If, for any reason, the default output is broken you can try with

lsusb > lsusb_output

And check if there is in fact some output on the file

Regards

Link to this post 29 Jun 11

What does "nothing is coming" mean? is it frozen? it just ends with no output?

for lsusb and ppp-go, "Command not found" is coming.

for "startx", it is trying to initiate the xserver, but it again come back to command line mode with error. [will post error, since now the system is not with me]

I guess, am not getting the root permission even I logging in as root. But, if i give the command "su", it is not prompting for password but thereafter the commands are working fine.

It is pretty simple, due to some configuration change you made the PATH variable was not set, so your user shell does not know to look into /sbin, /bin, etc.. for commands.

Did you change .bashrc, /etc/profile or any related files prior to the issue?

mfillpot wrote:

so your user shell does not know to look into /sbin, /bin, etc.. for commands.

may be. But, I am logging as root. Meanwhile, after "su" command with out asking for password the commands are working.
after "su" , the shell can look into special binaries. But, why its not happening after I logged in as "root".

I will check more with whoami kind of commands, and report it here tonight. [system not with me currently ]

Did you change .bashrc, /etc/profile or any related files prior to the issue?

yes for my device driver programming I added my path in bash_profile. But, I did not remove any thing or changed anything in that file. Just added my path.

I agree with mfillpot, and you could verify if that is the issue by specifying the absolute path to the binary as root. If it works, then thats what the issue is.

regards

Matt

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board