Linux.com

nfs

Link to this post 19 May 09

hi
i m working as a linux administrator in a software comapny. i have a task to nfs configuration. i m using slackware linux. i configruation two nfs server and using static ip. i exported a directory such as /data in one nfs server1 and another is /tmp in nfs2 server. i want to configure such that when some directory or file will create in /data directory, the files will show the other nfs server /tmp dirctory and vice versa.

the configuration of two nfs server
one nfs server ip address is 192.168.1.1
#vi /etc/exports
/data 192.168.1.2(ro,sync)
:wq
#exportfs -av
#/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd restart

another nfs server is 192.168.1.2
#vi /etc/exports
/tmp 192.168.1.1(ro,sync)
#exportfs -av
#/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd restart

then i have entry in first nfs server /etc/fstab file
192.168.1.2:/tmp /data nfs defaults 0 0

then i entry in 2nd nfs server /etc/fstab file
192.168.1.1:/data /tmp nfs defaults 0 0

after that i tried mount -a in 1st nfs server
it ran well. the file of 2nd nfs server show data directory.
but when i m running mount -a in 2nd nfs server, a error message is display
i.e. mount: 192.168.1.1:/data failed, reason given by server: Permission denied.

plz help me and give me any idea how to configure these two nfs server mapping each other.

Link to this post 19 May 09

The exports file and mount files seem sane.

Have you verified that the firewall on the first machine to set to allow communication on the necessary posts from the second host?

Link to this post 21 May 09

I agree that the configs look sane.

The only thing I can contribute is maybe have a console session open on server and client and "tail -f" the logs and look for specific errors at connection time. If there's only errors on the server side and nothing on the client side, there's a great chance the packets aren't even getting to the client.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board