Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Slackware Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware

Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware

Link to this post 12 Jun 09

I got tired of KDE long time ago.

Any machine I do an install for gets XFCE.

B)

Link to this post 19 Jun 09

KDE4 looks promising. It's been a while since I used Slackware, but I'm heading back that direction now that there's an official 64-bit version in the works.

XFCE isn't a bad choice, as it's lightweight and performs well while looking good.

Link to this post 14 Aug 09

KDE seems to be slow, waaay slow with all that jumbo mess they put with it, 60% of processor with XCompositing (transparent windows, etc).. Granted, I realize that is a resource hog by it's own right.. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core Processor 6000+ and 8GB of ram and 9800 GT nVidia -- Don't believe it should suck that bad.. XMMS was dragging around like a bug stuck in hot wet tar o_0 I removed that -- Installed 3.5, worked fine.... downloaded KDE 4.3 source from KDE compiled myself and made install.. NOT MUCH FASTER :) KDE was awesome when it wasn't so fat, looks like XFCE for me aswell

Link to this post 09 Feb 10

I tried to like kde4, no chance. Not a cat in hells chance. it's so bloated it's ridiculous, it takes so long to load. I switched to xfce and haven't looked back. I never thought I would dump kde. I just need to do a clean install without any kde stuff. Kmail was really good, that's been replaced with thunderbird. Just need a decent replacement for k3b. Bye bye kde.

Link to this post 09 Feb 10

I used to be a KDE user up to 3.5. My experiences with 4.x were not good. I went to Xfce. Happy as a clam. :)

Current Slackware/Xfce desktop:

Link to this post 16 Mar 10

I'm running Slackware64-current with KDE-4.4.1 - its very slick and well-polished. KDE is definitely getting better.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board