Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Slackware Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware

Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware

Link to this post 19 May 09

As I have stated in a few posts I am a proponent of including KDE 4.X in future releases because I don't like hte lack of configrability, but fortunately with Slackware many Window Managers are installed and when the day comes I will just move to XFCE.

I want to know the opinions of other Slackware user on KDE 4.X. Please share your experiences and opinions of KDE 4.X compared to KDE 3.X.

I have a month old iso of current that I am running in virtualbox. KDE 4x will not run in vbox - just freezes the thing up. I don't know why, and I have not tried to find out. I really need to put it on its own partition and try it there.

That said, KDE 3x is no longer in the -current tree, so 4x will be the only KDE choice in future Slackware. That's probably not a bad thing, and I will have to get used to it sooner or later. KDE 3x would probably run in the next release, but will have to be done by the user compiling it and all the dependencies. That will be no small task since KDE is a beast to compile normally.

Oh yea - XFCE runs flawlessly in vbox with the month old current iso. I think its time to mirror the tree again for changes.

I was having the same issue with current in vbox, KDE 4 keep having issues with teh DCOP server (which is a dependancy of KDE, not xfce), additionally EXT4 would not allow any writing to the filesystem in vbox.

I switched my virtual machine app to VMware and both problems disappeared. If you want to try KDE4 without switcihng virtual systems your current options are to setup a physical install or try if from a live cd of another distro.

I've never used VMware - time to go exploring! :)

Link to this post 23 May 09

I've been a slackware user for quite a while and I always
selected kde as the default for x.
But recently I tested a live distro called kongoni that is
based on slackware. It comes with kde4 as the default.
I didn't like it at all and I think when slackware will
have kde4 I'll switch to xfce
One thing I like is having a clean desktop: no friggin icons
lying around, no plasma thingies
I usually have my launch bar to the left of the screen
It took me a while to figure out how to get close to that with
kde4. Besides, I find it ugly and probably bloated

Link to this post 26 May 09

I am now running Slackware64-current as my main production machine. Also using KDE 4x (I forget the version) and it is way different! It will take some getting used to, but I will pass judgement after I find my way around.

At first glance, I really just didn't like it, but after using this a bit, I may find I prefer this KDE 4x.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board