Linux.com

Dual boot

Link to this post 01 Aug 11

I've seen the switch in partition order. Even though I have yet to put swap first, I usually set it up last, the order still changes. It was annoying but I never tried to find out why. This may call for an entry into the redhat bugzilla.
I'm doing a dual boot install soon and may watch how the partitions are created a bit more closely this time. All of a sudden I don't want to accept that they switch, but, want to know why they are switching.

RSims wrote:

The reason I do it this way is that the speed of Linux regardless of distribution is highly dependent on SWAP being the very first partition on your hard drive. Even if your computer has plenty of physical RAM you still need SWAP to be in the beginning and the very first partition. This has made a huge difference in my performance.

That is not true.

Besides... who uses SWAP nowadays?

Ram is so cheap that if you ever reach the point where you really need the swap then... GET MORE RAM!!!

:)

Regards

Swap is another reason to utilize all of a hard drive.

Link to this post 02 Aug 11

saqman2060 wrote:

Swap is another reason to utilize all of a hard drive.

I don't understand what you mean :S

marc wrote:

[b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b]
[quote]Swap is another reason to utilize all of a hard drive.

I don't understand what you mean :S[/quote]

Basically, you are using leftover drive space that is not being occupied. Instead of purchasing new ram, you can use what you already have a lot of. ;)

saqman2060 wrote:

[b]marc wrote:[/b]
[quote][b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b]
[quote]Swap is another reason to utilize all of a hard drive.

I don't understand what you mean :S[/quote]

Basically, you are using leftover drive space that is not being occupied. Instead of purchasing new ram, you can use what you already have a lot of. ;)[/quote]

Yikes :S

RAM is like a gazillion times faster than swap....

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board