Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Off Topic Small Talk Hey y'all, just curious about android x-86 proj...

Hey y'all, just curious about android x-86 proj...

Link to this post 05 May 11

I'm just wondering is there anyone out there who has messed with it? What's it like? I just wanted to know because I can't just download things on the fly and I wondered if anyone was using it. Post if you have used it or have screenshots of it being used would greatly appreciate it!!

Link to this post 05 May 11

The last time I checked on the project it was in it's infancy and not ready for easy installation. however it now looks like it is stabilized and ready for normal users. I will install it into a virtual machine tonight and share what I find.

In case someone else is interested in trying it out, the website is http://www.android-x86.org/

Link to this post 08 May 11

@mfillpot
Hey just thought I would mention I'm currently downloading the generic 2.2 ISO and I will post my findings here. Have you played around with it any?

Link to this post 09 May 11

Here are my thoughts on the 2.2 of android x86

Pros:
Fast
Simple Installation
It does allow android to be installed on x86 system

Cons:
Can't modify the resolution
All keyboard input it in some character based language, I think it is chinese
The app installations fail
Limited capabilities

It does deliver on what is advertised, but it is not really usable on a desktop or laptop system for anything but testing purposes.

Ya I tried it for myself except for downloading and installing apps. But to be honest I think this is probably not the last thing we're going to hear from these guys. I am thinking I'll try the 1.6 version soon.

I agree that they are not done, getting it running is only the first hurdle. I can see them optimizing it and getting things configured to run cleaner.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board