Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Off Topic Small Talk What's the point of "Account type" in our Profile?

What's the point of "Account type" in our Profile?

Link to this post 26 May 11

I can choose between:

End User
Developer
Consultant
Community Manager
Executive

What is it for?

Regards

Link to this post 27 May 11

I do not know the exact reason for the classification, but I think it is really so people can understand your role in regards to Linux use and administration.

mfillpot wrote:

I do not know the exact reason for the classification, but I think it is really so people can understand your role in regards to Linux use and administration.

Does that mean I'm a consultant? or that's only if Linux.com "consults" me?

Dunno, "Consultant" sounds way cooler than "End User" heheh ;) (ego problem? who knows? )

Regards

One of the goals of the site it to allow members to market themselves to potential employers, by choosing consultant, developer, etc... you can indicate to potential employers what professional level you hold. I personally will never list myself as a consultant because I will not consider working as a consultant.

mfillpot wrote:

One of the goals of the site it to allow members to market themselves to potential employers, by choosing consultant, developer, etc... you can indicate to potential employers what professional level you hold. I personally will never list myself as a consultant because I will not consider working as a consultant.

I most certaintly would therefore I'm changing my Account Type :)

Regards

Link to this post 28 May 11

I agree with mfillpot. Those classifications are used to mark skill level or job role. I first put consultant because I was helping others on this site. Thought that would be appropriate. Until I discovered there proper use, I just put end-user.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board