Linux.com

Books for C/C++ Development on Linux?

Link to this post 03 Jun 10

koffice isn't too hard to compile from source, but for simplicity sake you can install it via the yum package manager by typing "yun install koffice" into the terminal.

You may also be able to install the other apps via yum.

The error's are just that the libaries aren't there....
and EXIT_SUCCESS would be part of the library that it's missing.

So basically I just need to know what i need to get to get C++ Fully working with net beans; Other than the plugins.

And thanks for the info on KOffice, there site was saying I must compile from source.. so yeah, didn't even try the to install from terminal :D

what exactly is yum btw?
I've used it for installing apps, but there all just from guides, so not totally sure what it's function is, or it's meaning anyways.

[root@Ian ~]# yum install koffice
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4445.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
The other application is: PackageKit
Memory : 22 M RSS (316 MB VSZ)
Started: Wed Jun 2 16:58:43 2010 - 00:06 ago
State : Sleeping, pid: 4445
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* fedora: mirrors.xmission.com
* rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* updates: mirrors.xmission.com
Setting up Install Process
No package koffice available.
Nothing to do

yum stands for yellowdog update manager. What aptitude is to apt, yum is to rpm. It just a tool for installing, removing & updating programs.

Now...LOL...your correct, there is no koffice package in fedora. I was surprised myself. You have to use:

yum install koffice-suite or, if you want just the word processor yum install koffice-kword.

If you search for koffice in PackageKit (Add/Remove Software) you'll see that the components of koffice can be installed separately, or, you can install them all with yum install koffice-suite.

Oh I see, thank ya, I'll give that a try as soon as my updates are complete (probably just like 5 mins from the time of this post)

sorry for the late update, I do not use fedora, but know some commands and checked into https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/search/ where I did find a listing for koffice, I was unaware that it was taken apart.

Thanks again GoinEasy9 for stepping in and completing the information. ;)

By using the package manager you should be able to avoid custom compiling most applications.

Already got it though :P

Still having trouble with net beans though.
I can do Java applications but I'm only interesting in C++ :O

Javas nice, just not my thing lol

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board