Linux.com

Books for C/C++ Development on Linux?

Link to this post 02 Jun 10

I've been doing Linux software development, mostly in C++ (except for kernel work), for some time now (about 10 years). The GNU compilers are very compliant with ISO C++ standards (much more so than Windows compilers), and work well on every Linux distribution - I build code for x86 (32 and 64-bit), ARM, and PPC workstations, servers, and embedded boards. Get any decent set of C++ books and you should not have many issues working in a Linux environment. If you are not comfortable with a command-line build environment using Makefiles, then there are a number of IDE's available such as Eclipse, Code Blocks, etc.

I use Code::Blocks with MinGW on windows operating systems instead of VSC++ so I'm familiar with it.
I went to the site to download it not too long ago, and it doesn't look like they have one for Fedora.

Can you just compile it from source and have it work for any linux-based operating system?
If so, how do you compile from source without an IDE already installed?

Which application are you looking to install on Fedora from source?

Link to this post 03 Jun 10

I have been trying to install KOffice, also Code::Blocks.
Instead of using code blocks im now using NetBeans, however, I would still like to use KOffice.

Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans?
I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers.

#include <stdlib.h> <-- Error

/*
*/
int main(int argc, char** argv) {

return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error
}

Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?

Ian Blaise wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans?
I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers.

[code]
#include <stdlib.h> <-- Error

/*
*/
int main(int argc, char** argv) {

return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error
}

[/code]

Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?

What are the error?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board