Linux.com

Embedded arm runing linux

Link to this post 18 Aug 11

Hi,
i bought a linux base arm dev kit - devkit8500d , similar to devkit8000 from embest.

I got the board that it allready running linux kernel 2.6.

But....

1. I am unable to connect to it using telnet or ssh.
2.dont know how to imstall gcc on the board.

I can acsses terminal using serial cable.

Can anyone help?

If you can access the terminal through serial you should be able to review the installed applications to see if ssh or telnet are installed and make the necessary configuration changes to set them up as services.

I have reviewed some of the information on the board and it appears that it is running Android 2.2 as the gui, and potentially is cloning the core OS properties which include no remote access.

As for gcc, if it is not included then you cannot compile on the device, you will need to build the application and base files on another ARM based system or a qemu virtual machine then transferring the files to the device.

Have you considered building a new ARM based OS image using something like yocto (http://www.yoctoproject.org/) to in qemu to build a custom Linux based OS to be flashed to the board?

Also, if you are looking at embedded development you can consider getting a beagleboard (http://beagleboard.org/), which has a great support community, many of which are TI employees who are passionate about the boards and projects.

Yoavkarmon wrote:

Hi,
i bought a linux base arm dev kit - devkit8500d , similar to devkit8000 from embest.

the board specification is interesting. Rich in features.

I got the board that it allready running linux kernel 2.6.

good. You are lucky for not getting with WinCE

1. I am unable to connect to it using telnet or ssh.

1. First, you need to ensure the telnet and SSH are enabled. Since you have terminal access, that will be dead easy to check. And as mfillpot mentioned, you may need to change the config file. If you found difficult, feel free to get back here with your config files of both. But, SSH is safer than telnet.

2. Then you need to ensure, your system and the board are in same class of IP family. that is, ip address and netmask should be configured correctly. And gateway can be your system or board ip itself.

3. Then try with "ping" command to board IP from system and from board to system IP. If possible, try to post, " /etc/hosts" file.

2.dont know how to imstall gcc on the board.

Can you please a bit clear. Are you want to
1. code and compile in the board itself
or
2. want to run the assembler output [ binary output of c code ], in the board.

Depending on that the procedure will change.
But, my personal opinion, you can do cross compile procedure. That is, do the coding in your system then just run the executables in the board, which saves lot of space in the board and work load in the board will get reduced to a notable one.

And again, the board specification is excellent. You can do so many things.

Hi,

thanks for the quick answers.

*FYI: i am pretty new at LINUX programing.

1. networking:

i have a working Ethernet connection, using my DHCP server on my home router.

2. how do i ensure the telnet and SSH are "enabled"?

i can see that telnetd on user space, but when i try to connect from my pc, to the board i get "connection refused".

one more question:

i want to download the SSH source code-> compile it using cross compiler -> download it the the board.

for what i can see in the instructions to compiling the SSH code:

a.download the source code

b. compile it on the cross compiler using "make" -> how do i make sure it will be compiled to arm?

c. then do make install -> but it will install it on the host PC not on target, should i copy it to the target and then run "make install"?

10x for the help,

yoav

link: ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/INSTALL

Yoavkarmon wrote:

2. how do i ensure the telnet and SSH are "enabled"?

1. you told that you can able to open the terminal, right ? . Just do that.
2. login as root
3. then

# cd /usr/bin
# chmod 0755 ssh

i can see that telnetd on user space, but when i try to connect from my pc, to the board i get "connection refused".

since you have 2.6 kernel, by default telnet is disabled. But, you can use SSH instead.

i want to download the SSH source code-> compile it using cross compiler -> download it the the board.

I guess 2.6 has ssh by default. You need to enable as mentioned previously.

a.download the source code

yes you have to. if ssh not in board. But, I am sure it will be there. And if you want, you have to download for ARM architecture not for intel/AMD and so on.
I am running with slow internet connection, so I can not give you exact link to download. But, google will help you to get ssh for ARM.

b. compile it on the cross compiler using "make" -> how do i make sure it will be compiled to arm?

you need ssh package which is built for ARM

c. then do make install -> but it will install it on the host PC not on target, should i copy it to the target and then run "make install"?

you need to transfer the package using ftp to the board. then from your terminal of the board you can install the package.
If you are using Windows OS , you can use filezila to transfer the package to the board using board IP.

I guess, all the procedures are supposed to be with the board package box. Any CD or hardcopy guide is included ?
Feel free to get back here.

* regarding ssh enable procedure, I guess that ' chmod ' command is enough. If not working, let us to see your config file of ssh. And we have more Admin people here. They will help you more .

Hi man, thanks!

i will do those things today and i will report to you ASAP.

10x again!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board