Linux.com

Is This Program Even Possible

Link to this post 18 Jul 11

I'm saying sorry in advance if this is not the correct place to ask a question but it seemed the most logical to me. I will be the first to admit that I am not a techie in a technical sense (all pun intended) but I do believe my background in philosophy and logic have brought me to thinking about what one of my tech friends has called "a high-level and advance IT question". My good friend also told me nothing is impossible to create in software, you just need to find the right Baby genius to build it :) So I find myself here. [For clarity reasons I am going to use two program examples that best fit what I am envisioning: They are Google Chrome web browser and Google Chromium OS] Here we go.

It seems to me that Chrome web browser and Chromium OS essentially do the same thing its just one works as a program within an operating system and the other works as a stand alone Operating system in itself. Further more they are two separate programs. My question is is it even possible to create software that works as a program (Chrome web browser) within an operating system (Mac, Windows 7, Linux) but the SAME program can also be used as a stripped down operating system THAT ONLY ACCESSES THE INTERNET (Chromium OS) on that same computer with the Mac, Windows 7 or Linux on it. Essentially its combining a program like Chrome web browser and Chromium OS into one and changes the Hierarchy relationship between the two. That means using the program as a stripped down Operating system that accesses the internet is a secondary function and using it as a program that accesses the internet within a local operating system is the primary function.

Once again I use Chrome Web browser and Chromium OS because they are the best examples of the technology that is already out there. And I cannot stress this enough. The program I am talking about is ONE program, not two. So in theory this program would combine a web browser and an OS but the browser is the main function and the OS option is a secondary function that allows your computer to only access the internet through the program. I believe there are major benefits to a program that could be created like this if it has not been already. This is what I am trying to create or have someone or some people help me create it.

If you do not believe creating this is possible I would sincerely like to know why not and for what reasons. Also if anything is not clear please ask questions as obviously I am not a techie if it has not shown already. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the idea and or questions. I look forward to dialogue and interaction on this subject. Thank you for reading.

By the way I'm asking this with Chromium because it was built using the Linux Kernel.

I don't see why not this could be done, just that...what would be the point of doing so?

Regards

Link to this post 19 Jul 11

Thank you Marc for the reply. If you could just elaborate a little as to why you see no problem with this type of program being built. That would be helpful. The biggest point I assume of building a program like this is making Internet use even faster than it is now. I'm just assuming this though I do not know enough about Operating Systems and their specific functions. But going off of that assumption faster Internet usage would mean playing online games and doing online activities would be a greater experience.

I'm pretty sure there would be even more benefits to having a program like this but as I said I don't know enough right now.

Link to this post 19 Jul 11

jsjohnsmith333777 wrote:

Thank you Marc for the reply. If you could just elaborate a little as to why you see no problem with this type of program being built. That would be helpful. The biggest point I assume of building a program like this is making Internet use even faster than it is now. I'm just assuming this though I do not know enough about Operating Systems and their specific functions. But going off of that assumption faster Internet usage would mean playing online games and doing online activities would be a greater experience.

I'm pretty sure there would be even more benefits to having a program like this but as I said I don't know enough right now.

Well, the OS main functionallity is to talk to the *hardware*. It's a comunication layer between the apps/software and the hardware itself.

You could code an OS that could detect if it needs to do that work (chromeOS) or just run as an application (chromium). However, I see no point in doing that.

Internet speed? No way. Today's bottlenecks are *NOT* the OS but the communications themselves. Ya know, it takes time for a signal to go from Tokio to Paris... and that takes like a hundred time more that you could potentially win from writing an specific OS system.

Regards

Link to this post 20 Jul 11

marc wrote:

[b]jsjohnsmith333777 wrote:[/b]
[quote]Thank you Marc for the reply. If you could just elaborate a little as to why you see no problem with this type of program being built. That would be helpful. The biggest point I assume of building a program like this is making Internet use even faster than it is now. I'm just assuming this though I do not know enough about Operating Systems and their specific functions. But going off of that assumption faster Internet usage would mean playing online games and doing online activities would be a greater experience.

Well, the OS main functionallity is to talk to the *hardware*. It's a comunication layer between the apps/software and the hardware itself.

You could code an OS that could detect if it needs to do that work (chromeOS) or just run as an application (chromium). However, I see no point in doing that.

Internet speed? No way. Today's bottlenecks are *NOT* the OS but the communications themselves. Ya know, it takes time for a signal to go from Tokio to Paris... and that takes like a hundred time more that you could potentially win from writing an specific OS system.

Regards[/quote]

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate your feed back. I think the main thing to remember is that this is not technically an OS. Its an entirely new program that has two main functions. One is to access the Internet in a traditional Operating System and Two is to access the Internet without the traditional Operating System needing to be loaded.

I guess I'm not really understanding why a program that does not load a traditional OS but only accesses the internet would not be beneficial? I assume the things that effect Internet speed and web experience are tied to hardware and software resources on a computer. If your computer only has to load this one program with out doing all the other booting junk to get to the Internet why wouldn't that make Internet usage and web activities faster? Especially for video games and MMOs online?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board