Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Storage Harddisk partision unallocated

Harddisk partision unallocated

Link to this post 30 Mar 11

hello
I have a problem.
I installed ubuntu linux then I divide the hard drive into 3 partitions
but after I checked the hard drive with only one partition GParted
and "unallocate" I want to divide re-partition my hard drive, but I do not want my data erased ..
what should I do to restore the right partition format?

Link to this post 31 Mar 11

Boot with Live/Rescue CD/DVD. Backup data to external hard drive. Repartition and fix up hard drive. This is dangerous. My advice is to backup data, reinstall ubuntu using manual partitioning. Is this a dual/multi boot configuration, or Ubuntu only?

Link to this post 01 Apr 11

thanks,, but how to backup data easy and fast to ext harddisk ???

only copy / paste is to long..

any advice how to backup data with simple trick ???

Link to this post 01 Apr 11

Ph03nix wrote:

thanks,, but how to backup data easy and fast to ext harddisk ???

only copy / paste is to long..

any advice how to backup data with simple trick ???

all data copying including cloning the partition will take quite a while. You can use the gparted livecd to attempt to shrink partitions to leave the data in place, however that process will take a while and can lead to corrupt data. The best method is still to copy the data to an external device, repartition the disk with fresh filesystems then copy the data back into the new partitions.

Link to this post 02 Apr 11

Hi,

if you want to backup you could as others have suggested boot from a liveCD and rsync the files or do a dump of the unmounted filesystem.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, you could look into using some 3rd party products to help you. Mondorescue is a pretty cool utility that will basically create an ISO image of your HD, similar to Norton Ghost. Benefit of this is that using Mindi to restore this, you can either choose for the restore to basically format the destination HD just like the original, or you can do a selective filesystem restore. - Or, you can choose to do a directory level restore all from the same backup.

Its pretty neat, NASA were using it at one time, not sure if they still do, but its free!!

It might be a bit more help to the guys trying to help you, if you can provide a step by step list of how you config'd your system, as giving advice on redoing a partition scheme when you dont have all the facts can be a bit daunting :-)

hope that helps.

Link to this post 06 Apr 11

thanks for the answer,,, now i will try it.. lets try guys..

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board