Linux.com

Active Directory Alternative

Link to this post 24 Jan 12

if your a Windows admin i would suggest taking a look at Resara Server. its an open source Active Directory/File server built on Samba4, and really easy to use. http://www.resara.org

Link to this post 25 Jan 12

elwarreno, thanks for sharing the info about resara, it looks like a good solution for new administrators.

Link to this post 25 Jan 12

Dang, you guys are awesome.

@mfillpot - Thanks for the crucial breakdown. I'm actually kinda stoked to understand the Unix philosophy. However, while I like the basic concept that you outlined - it just seems like, in practice, it leads to very confusing systems.

@elwarreno - Thanks for the link to Resara, it looks like a pretty cool product. I really want to get my hands on it now.

Guys, this is like a whole new world for me. As much as I don't like Microsoft as a company right now, I am still pretty well married to their products (I LOVE my management console). But! I have a whole bunch of links open in my browser now that I have to go research :) I can't wait to build a little lab with all of this in it!

Actually, I mentioned my management console - which gets me thinking... Does an equivalent exist in the Linux world for Microsoft's (forgive me) AMAZING Management Console product lineup?? (ie: Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, or any other plugin to the MMC framework)

I feel like, from the basic Unix philosophy that mfillpot gave, GNU/Linux and Unix systems are too disseparate with no governing entity to make something like an MMC equivalent possible.

If you guys have been managing *nix for a really long time, you may not know what I'm talking about. Let me give a quick example. Right now, I have a dead simple management console that I made called the "Ultimate Management Console". It's just a bunch of plugins that integrate into a uniform interface that I have open like any other application on my desktop. From this one console (this is a GUI, not a command line console like you may be thinking), I can remote into 24 of my servers, manage AD Domains and Trusts, AD Sites and Services, AD Users and Computers, manage all of my Group Policies, configure my Certification Authority and Online Responders, manage all of my Distributed File System shares (this is just a fancy name for a directory symlink - which I think exists on *nix as well), configure all of my DNS and DHCP servers and scopes, manage all print functions from all my print servers, configure the quotas and reports for all my file servers, and manage the entire local downstream clone of Microsoft's Windows Update service.

The thing that is so impressive about this kind of integration, is that almost any problem that exists on my network or servers can be responded to in a matter of seconds with just a few clicks. For example, lets say that our line of business application gets an update and now cannot send drawings to our large format plotter because it requires a new version of the print driver. No problem, in about 10 clicks and less than 30 seconds I can have the new driver available to both print servers at both of our locations and the clients can pull them immediately. That's what makes it nice.

I've seen some stuff called gadmin-... in the repositories before, but when I tried to check out the homepage it appears down. I don't know if this is/was an alternative or possible alternative to MMC, but it looks like it isn't maintained anymore (unless Google's cache is lagging...)

Anyway, let me know what you think,
-David

Link to this post 26 Jan 12

Actually the Unix philosophy works well when trying to find replacements for management tools for various applications, because the many base components are stable, backward compatible and include scriptable or API libraries it is easier for others to develop management tools to consolidate the administration. One good example you might want to look at is webmin (http://webmin.com/), which is a web-based management tool that has loadable modules for pretty much every management task. You can find many other tools that do similar tasks, but in my experiences webmin has the most comprehensive module library.

Link to this post 05 Jun 13

Marc Deop said:

Not everything is OpenLDAP:

http://www.redhat.com/directory_server/

I use the CentOS version and I'm quite confortable with it :)

Friend i need install a domain Controller whit centos with samba 4 and integrating a existing ldap server, can you help Me, because i try some installations with red Hat, centos and ubuntu, but that's not ok.

Please help Me

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board