Linux.com

plsss answer i need help...

Link to this post 21 Mar 10

what book can you suggest that i can read so that i could learn the basics of programming???

Link to this post 22 Mar 10

The basics can vary depending on what programming language you intend to use. Now your choice of programming language to use can be based upon intended use (what you want to program, and what you want it to run on) and what scripting of programming languages you may already be familiar with.

If you can give us that information then we can refer some good starting points.

Link to this post 23 Mar 10

The Dietel and Dietel "C: How to program" has been a standard for a long time.
The "X" in "Y" days series is usally pretty good, too (e.g. Perl in 21 days)

If you've never programming or scripted ever at all before, you may want to consider taking a class, too. Often times, local high schools or vocational schools will have "continuing ed" programs and may offer a programming class. If your local high school doesn't, then check your local community learning center, or your local community college.

Generally, in high schools, they still start students out w/ BASIC. In college, in EE / CE programs, they start students out w/ C, and in CS prorgams, it's usually either Java or C++.

Link to this post 28 Mar 10

Anything found here. O'Reilly have a very sound reputation for their programming books.

Try starting by learning php (Version 5) Because it is relatively easy to grasp the basics and then work up to something like C or C++.

Thanks,
Tony

Link to this post 29 Mar 10

LOL! :-) The best "programming" class I ever took in college was the formal logic course that was my philosophy requirement in engineering school. Everything else is just a matter of learning the syntax, good style, etc. As Adam suggested, it depends a lot on the language you want to learn first. In my case, I started out with Fortran in engineering school, took Wang Basic in continuing ed, taught myself dBase II/III/IV, SQL, C, C++, x86 assembler, Smalltalk, Java, various scripting languages, etc. At this point, any new programming is JAPL (Just Another Programming Language) - the principles remain the same, just the syntax and support API's change, which can be learned in a fairly short period of time.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board