Linux.com

RAID 0 or 5?

Link to this post 21 Oct 09

If this is in the wrong section, sorry. As you can see, this is my first post. So flame away if you must.

Do I want RAID 0 or 5?

I am clinging to the hope that I can do this.

I have 3 (160Gb SSD) drives available

Ultimately, I want to dual boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu in RAID 0 for performance, and have the redundancy ability of RAID 1 for backing up both OSs. Hence RAID 5.

Do I have to use the 1st 2 drives in RAID 0 for Windows 7, and use the 3rd drive partitioned for Ubuntu and backup for the OSs and not get to have Ubuntu in raid 0?

or

Can I put Windows 7 & Ubuntu on drive 1 & 2 in RAID 0 (2 drives) and have the 3rd drive backup both OSs (because of RAID 5)?

or

If I have the 3 hard drives set up in RAID 5 with Windows 7; can I then repartition (drive 1) so that Windows 7 gets 100Gb, and Ubuntu gets the remainder and the drives (drive 2 & 3) for performance & redundancy will just follow?

So again, ultimately I want RAID 5 for performance and redundancy with dual booting for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Also, each OS would be 64bit if that matters/helps.

Please, no fanboyism about why I would want Windows or Ubuntu or SSDs.

And please, please, please....I am brand spanking new to this. So I would prefer if you explain it to me very simply if you have the patience. I am not too proud to admit that I am so completely lost. All I know is that I really like Ubuntu as a starting off point to migrate away from Windows, but I still need Windows for work and VERY few games. I know, I know...I can always use Windows in a virtual enviroment...one step at a time. :)

Link to this post 24 Nov 09

I would NOT use a RAID configuration for data that is to be accessed by dual operating systems unless it is in an attached device such as a NAS which does the actual device management. Hardware RAID may work ok, provided the hardware handles all the RAID functionality (mirroring, striping, parity checking, drive rebuilding, etc) and all operating systems in use have the appropriate drivers. For software RAID, this is much more problematic because AFAIK there is no standard for the implementation of RAID services. In such a case it is likely that one OS will "step on" the other, rendering your data inaccessible and/or corrupted.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board